Anyone Heard of USHealth Advisors?

all right one more last post. Read it completely you guys might learn something. how do you compare a ushealth advisor policy to what is really out there well lets get into policies ;) you guys act like you sell the best plans out in the market and dont even understand the true downside to these policies. people get canceled or rated up so high that they cant even pay their payments so i just wanted to go by some facts

- look at all the complaints on bbb.org check out humana, bluecross, aetna, goldenrule look at all the complaints that they have they are in the thousands! now go check freedom life insurance WE HAVE 17

-All health insurance plans in the individual marketplace (bc/bs/humana/aetna/etc) have the ability to cancel clients or raise premiums as much as they want and they do this by CLASS
so lets get into what exactly is class, i have an Aetna policy right in front of me and it reads: terms and termination of your coverage- Aetna may terminate, cancel or decline to renew this policy in the event of any of the following; DISCONTINUANCE OF THIS CLASS IN ITS ENTIRETY.
so lets talk about what class is. a class is a small group of clients that are put on a risk pool based on the geographic area, plan sold. when they are done filling this pool with clients could be 20 people or 50 they close that pool up. over time what starts happening to a pool that new water doesnt circulate it becomes stagnant. in other words people start getting sick they start jacking prices up to everybody in that class until it reaches a point that pool is now a bad risk and they are not proffiting so what do they do they CLASS SHIFT meaning they take out the healthy people in that class and put them in a new one along with healthy individual BUT BUTTTTTTTTTT the unhealthy or uninsurable folks with cancer, hiv, aids, etc that NEED their insurance the most at that time they get a nice little letter saying thank you for business over the years but unfortunately we are canceling you because we are canceling everybody in your class good luck paying for your chemo! and that my friends is how they cancel your clients!
- freedom life is an association health insurance meaning that we put all of our clients in a HUGE GROUP OF 15 MILLION OF OUR CLIENTS NATIONWIDE AND KEEP ADDING MORE HEALTHY INDIVIDUALS INTO THAT GROUP SO THAT WAY OUR RISK POOL DOES NOT BECOME STAGNANT AND THATS WHY WE CANT CANCEL ANY OF OUR CLIENTS WHEN THEY ARE SICK OR WHEN THEY NEED THEIR HEALTH INSURANCE THE MOST.

- a lot of companys do backdoor underwriting meaning they dont underwrite much on the front end and they accept you, you pay your premium for 8 months and then you get something and you have a claim they decide to fully underwrite you at that point and if they catch something at that time THEY WILL RESEND YOUR POLICY meaning they cancel you and resend you all of your money you have paid since day 1.humana is famous for doing this.
- FREEDOM LIFE FULLY UNDERWRITES UPFRONT SO ONCE YOU ARE PART OF OUR GROUP WE CANT CANCEL YOU OR RESEND YOUR POLICY DUE TO FURTHER UNDERWRITING!

-individual plans dont cover on the job claims so if you sell a plan to a plumber or someone thats self employed and they have an accident while they were working that claim is not payed
-FREEDOM LIFE COVER OUR CLIENTS ON AND OFF THE JOB!

-now lets talk about the ALLOWABLE AMOUNT- the allowable amount is the amount that the insurer will payfor particular service.the allowed amount is usually the amount that the insurer decides to be fair for each procedure. Meaning that bc/bs, humana, aetna, etc can determine how much the allowable amount is per procedure at their own discretion.
- freedom life pays their claims by USUAL AND CUSTOMARY MEANING THAT THE PRICES ARE DETERMINED BY WHAT THE CERTAIN PROCEDURE IN THAT GEOGRAPHICAL AREA USUALLY COSTS. IN OTHER WORDS FREEDOM LIFE DOESNT DECIDE OR DETERMINE HOW MUCH THEY WILL PAY FOR X PROCEDURE THEY WONT JUST SAY THE MOST WE WILL PAY FOR THAT SURGERY IS 20,000 WHEN THE BILL IS 35,000. WE WILL PAY WHAT IS USUAL AND CUSTOMARY FOR THAT PROCEDURE SO IF THE BILL IS 35,000 AND THE USUAL BILL FOR THAT PROCEDURE IN THAT AREA IS 35,000 THATS WHAT WE WILL PAY. WE DONT DETERMINE HOW MUCH WE WILL PAY.

- now lets talk about those damn bc/bs policies the 500 series that brokers are pushing as "major medical" they have limitations left and right they dont even cover chemotherapy! and we are the ones selling these "limited plans"? our plans are ten times better then what you clowns seem to sell.
so i might have 3 years of health insurance experience and 10 years of sales experience but i know a lot of what is out there and i am a true proffessional and i am very well informed of how insurers operate and what they do. i just tought it was so funny how you guys claim to have the best plans out there WHEN YOUR CLIENTS ARE BEING CANCELED LEFT AND RIGHT WHEN THEY ARE SICK OR THEIR PREMEIUMS ARE BEING JACKED UP TO THE POINT OF CANCELING THEIR PLAN BECAUSE THEY CANT AFFORD IT!

I hope you guys read my article and inform yourselves of what is really going on out there in the individual marketplace and quit claiming to have the perfect and best plans out there. look at yourself before you talk about others witouth fully knowing what you are talking about ;) i hope this was very informative. god bless

SURELY this inane babble will put this thread to rest, it is obvious that trying to educate/argue would be a complete waste of time.

If this thread is about the US Health Group subsidiary, Freedom Life, I have an appointment with one of my Blue Cross clients on Wednesday to analyze the materials that the Freedom Life agent left with him last week. (I told him to let the F.L. agent come over and deliver his spiel.)

The agent said that it's health insurance with a 3 year premium guarantee. If this is not major medical, dropping his Blue Cross HSA for it would be a huge mistake, even though their premium is about to go up 20%. He'll have to pay IRS penalities every year and hope that no one in his family of 4 has medical bills that go above the various limits in the policy. Not a good trade for the "security" of a 3 year price guarantee.

It will be fun contrasting the Freedom Life plan against the BCBS policy with my client this week! That being said, it is tough seeing major medical premiums begin to dramatically increase once again. I don't think the Federal Subsidies will be much help once the increases reach a certain point.
-ac

Well, I met with my client today after his appointment (yesterday) with the USHealth/FreedomLife agent. Actually, it was an agent-in-training, with his Sales Manager.

I looked over the materials they left behind. A few points to make...

1. The health plan that was shown to my client is Major Medical that has integrated cash for critical illness and cash for injury features.

2. To make the plan work with a prospect's budget, very high deductibles can be chosen, wellness benefits stripped, unlimited lifetime maximum removed, and a few other tweaks. Naturally, when you remove the wellness and unlim lifetime max, it is no longer a major medical policy.

3. The brochure was really well put-together and showed multiple "real life" examples of sicknesses, injuries, and what their plan would pay, compared to the traditional major medical. Naturally, because of the C.I., Injury features, the US Health plan was superior in every case. It's interesting that these examples built into the brochure looked just like the S.O.B. (Summary of Benefits) that ObamaCare mandated last Fall..but have been in their brochure for a couple of years now.

4. The agent/trainer didn't bring an official quote. Rather, it was a sheet where the chosen policy options were checked off and the agent wrote the price for the package at the top of the sheet.

5. In the brochure, the agent/trainer "forgot" to circle the deductible options chosen. But my client remembered that he was told the deductible was $6,000. I picked up the brochure again, saw and pointed out that the $6,000 deductible defaulted to the 70/30, with $6,000 in coinsurance... x3 family members!

6. My client chose the 3 year rate guarantee, without the wellness benefits, and applied yesterday, as I suggested. Their total package price was about $75 per month less than what he has with me now. (BCBS $7,500 Deduct HSA / $50k Critical Illness policy / $10,000 Injury policy)

7. The US Health duo didn't fill out an application, or get any signatures. Rather, they collected a "voided" check from my client and told him to expect a phone call from US Health to complete the application. U.S. Health called yesterday evening via a recorded line. He told them that he'd changed his mind.

Today, we reduced Tom's premium $110 by raising his family HSA deductible from $7,500 to $10,000. His business is doing well and $10K is less than the cost of one of his machines being repaired.

At any rate, it was good for him to see with his own eyes that his current health coverage configuration is top quality and not much more expensive than that of competitors...like the telemarketing callers keep inferring. :nah:
-Allen

1. If he is grandfathered, another reason to keep it
2. If he funds his HSA fully, he'll save another $1000-$1500 in taxes
3. I don't see how they can sell major medical without wellness/unlimited lifetime caps and get away with it past 2014
4. They obviously don't plan on playing by HHS rules if they give 3 yr rate guarantees.
5. The plan is non compliant in 2014, and he would owe the penalty.
6. To save $75/mo to more than quadruple his out of pocket risk would have been a mistake. Raising deductible was the right move.

Well, I met with my client today after his appointment (yesterday) with the USHealth/FreedomLife agent. Actually, it was an agent-in-training, with his Sales Manager.

I looked over the materials they left behind. A few points to make...

1. The health plan that was shown to my client is Major Medical that has integrated cash for critical illness and cash for injury features.

2. To make the plan work with a prospect's budget, very high deductibles can be chosen, wellness benefits stripped, unlimited lifetime maximum removed, and a few other tweaks. Naturally, when you remove the wellness and unlim lifetime max, it is no longer a major medical policy. No offense of course, we just disagree on how to sell

3. The brochure was really well put-together and showed multiple "real life" examples of sicknesses, injuries, and what their plan would pay, compared to the traditional major medical. Naturally, because of the C.I., Injury features, the US Health plan was superior in every case. It's interesting that these examples built into the brochure looked just like the S.O.B. (Summary of Benefits) that ObamaCare mandated last Fall..but have been in their brochure for a couple of years now.

4. The agent/trainer didn't bring an official quote. Rather, it was a sheet where the chosen policy options were checked off and the agent wrote the price for the package at the top of the sheet.

5. In the brochure, the agent/trainer "forgot" to circle the deductible options chosen. But my client remembered that he was told the deductible was $6,000. I picked up the brochure again, saw and pointed out that the $6,000 deductible defaulted to the 70/30, with $6,000 in coinsurance... x3 family members!

6. My client chose the 3 year rate guarantee, without the wellness benefits, and applied yesterday, as I suggested. Their total package price was about $75 per month less than what he has with me now. (BCBS $7,500 Deduct HSA / $50k Critical Illness policy / $10,000 Injury policy)

7. The US Health duo didn't fill out an application, or get any signatures. Rather, they collected a "voided" check from my client and told him to expect a phone call from US Health to complete the application. U.S. Health called yesterday evening via a recorded line. He told them that he'd changed his mind.

Today, we reduced Tom's premium $110 by raising his family HSA deductible from $7,500 to $10,000. His business is doing well and $10K is less than the cost of one of his machines being repaired.

At any rate, it was good for him to see with his own eyes that his current health coverage configuration is top quality and not much more expensive than that of competitors...like the telemarketing callers keep inferring. :nah:
-Allen
Why don't you get rid of that ci policy you sold him or that accident plan you husseled him on... Allen I think you are to committed to these high commission extra products. Canc the extra products and take care of your clients... I would fire you on the spot if I owned the agency for that clown crap. No offense of course it's just you and me disagree on philosophy

Last edited:
Chuck, I agree on the CI plan being a waste, but I've got to disagree with you on the accident plan for younger families with kids. (sorry buddy) Most of my biz is HDHP HSA, and for a young family, with active kids, the risk of an accident causing a high expense is the biggest risk (not so much major illness). I own one personally, with a 10k HSA, and feel much better when the kids are playing outside or doing sports. When I position the product with this kind of client, they really feel more comfortable going with the HDHP, and they really like the concept. If older husband/wife only, I'm not so sold on the concept.

Why don't you get rid of that ci policy you sold him or that accident plan you husseled him on... Allen I think you are to committed to these high commission extra products. Canc the extra products and take care of your clients... I would fire you on the spot if I owned the agency for that clown crap. No offense of course it's just you and me disagree on philosophy

TaterPeeler, I've have had too many claims and received too many "Thank-You Allen!" (and even a few gifts) over the past 10 years from grateful clients like these...

From the 62 year-old who was bit by a spider, became infected and had his $10,000 HSA deductible covered by the Injury Policy...

To the 40'ish client who developed breast cancer and used the $65,000 proceeds from her Critical Illness policy to help keep her pre-school running...

To the client who was trying to skateboard with his son, pulled a groin and had his $5,000 deductible covered by the Injury Policy..

To my 48 year old Realtor client in Chicago who was paid $96,000 by her Critical Illness policy because the Social Security Administration deemed her sudden reduction of lung capacity as a disability.

I could go on and on.. and these are just the claims that I know about. Other clients handle these things directly, without my assistance.

TaterPeeler, REAL WORLD EXPERIENCES, have demonstrated that high-deductible major meds mated with C.I. and/or Injury plans are a good combination for those who want the best protection for "reasonable" premiums.

Most people would love to a $500 deductible 0% Coinsurance policy, but virtually no one, (except, obviously, YOUR clients!) are willing to shell out that much $$$$ every month.

-Allen
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
1. If he is grandfathered, another reason to keep it
2. If he funds his HSA fully, he'll save another $1000-$1500 in taxes
3. I don't see how they can sell major medical without wellness/unlimited lifetime caps and get away with it past 2014
4. They obviously don't plan on playing by HHS rules if they give 3 yr rate guarantees.
5. The plan is non compliant in 2014, and he would owe the penalty.
6. To save $75/mo to more than quadruple his out of pocket risk would have been a mistake. Raising deductible was the right move.

YAgents,
1.) Policy date March 1, 2011. Not GF.
2.) Not funding an HSA. "Never Got Around To It"
3.) Only a Major Medical with ALL benefit options included. Otherwise, brochure says (proudly) that it becomes a limited benefit plan that is "Not Subject To The Rules of Healthcare Reform".
4.) When I sold Freedom Life, the 3 year rate guarantee was a big selling point. (They cancelled our broker contracts in 2008 due to financial problems.)
5.) The USHealth peeps told him that the penalty is only $95. They neglected to mention that it escalates from there. However, since this client's income is well over $100,000 wouldn't he have been subject to 1% vs. $95? I pointed these things out to him.
6.) Come next year, raising the deductible may not be an option if clients already have $7,000 to $10,000 HDHPs like the vast majority of my clients do. I feel that we'll have VERY VERY few options for lowering premiums. Talk about being worthless.
-ac

Last edited:
YAgents,
1.) Policy date March 1, 2011. Not GF.
2.) Not funding an HSA. "Never Got Around To It"
3.) Only a Major Medical with ALL benefit options included. Otherwise, brochure says (proudly) that it becomes a limited benefit plan that is "Not Subject To The Rules of Healthcare Reform".
4.) When I sold Freedom Life, the 3 year rate guarantee was a big selling point. (They cancelled our broker contracts in 2008 due to financial problems.)
5.) The USHealth peeps told him that the penalty is only $95. They neglected to mention that it escalates from there. However, since this client's income is well over $100,000 wouldn't he have been subject to 1% vs. $95? I pointed these things out to him.
6.) Come next year, raising the deductible may not be an option if clients already have $7,000 to $10,000 HDHPs like the vast majority of my clients do. I feel that we'll have VERY VERY few options for lowering premiums. Talk about being worthless.
-ac

Yes, penalty would be 1% of AGI

As you know, he can still open and fund an HSA for 12' and lower his income

Eventually, GF plan premiums will rise to the point that it makes sense to jump to a NON GF plan on or off the exchange. But, it could be several years off. My $450/mo, 10k HSA will take a long time to get to $1000/mo which is my forcasted obamacare premium for family of 4

Just wondering if anyone can confirm what I just heard, that starting in 2015, Health insurance will no longer be an allowable deduction for individuals or business?:swoon:

This is going to be interesting! My first post, obviously. I am entering my third year as a health agent. I have mostly sold Medicare plans thru UHC, Anthem and Health Net.

My commissions cannot keep up with the cost of living in California and my clients dieing. And the agent competition increases every day with Medicare. So I decided to try US Health Group (Advisors in the marketing leg). I have been studying the material for days. I am about as detail oriented as one can be and I see the problems where others do not. It is both a curse and a blessing.

Here is my take on USHG plans.
First a disclaimer: No one should sell insurance that does not advise their client to be proactive. Ask every question, read the fine print, make sure you are covered for everything that matters to you, ask more questions of the insurance company, not just the agent. Agents can make mistakes (oh no-tell me it's not so!)

Okay-let's chat about the Secure Advantage plan. USHG comprehensive plan for wellness, sickness and accident. It is not a major medical plan. It is a specified disease policy. It does not cover everything-only the sicknesses listed in their policies, which is about 95% of them. Here are some exclusions I was unhappy to find:
1. ADD & ADHD
2. Mold or fungal infections
3. Autism
4. TMJ
5. Mental, nervous and emotional problems
6. Cirrhosis
7. Maternity (but you can layer it in)

Accident part-I did not see anything I have not seen before with all other policies.
Wellness is adequate, not an HMO-the client can pick their own coverage.

What I do really like is the layering aspect, that can insure a client from first dollar. I like that the client can customize their plan to suit them in more ways than I thought possible. I like that a client can say my budget is for $300 a month and I want the best coverage I can get for that. I like that their plans are copy written and cannot be duplicated. Their health plan have been dismantled in such a way as to give those poor unsuspecting folks with Obamacare another affordable option, when we put a policy back together for them.

I LOVE that they pay really well. Let's all face facts, we work to make a living.

Is there any such thing as perfect health insurance? Only if you are 65 and get a plan F. For those under 65, it is a horrible state of affairs, especially if you have ever had a hangnail.

What I plan to do with USHG (because I have to look at myself in the mirror everyday) is disclose, disclose, disclose. Tell my client-make sure you can live with any problems with any insurance. Tell them there is good and bad with all health insurance. I would rather walk away from a sale than hurt someone. And I know you all do not want to hear this, but it is better to have some insurance than none at all.

Can't wait to hear the responses to this post. In fact, I welcome them. Not sure why others do not like a good discussion-if we did not, why have a forum? All we would need is a place to post what we want to say.

Hey guys...I am new to the insurance sales thing. I have spent my career in medical and dental sales and recently laid off. All the insurance companies are capturing my resume from Career Builder. I know nothing about insurance sales other than a friend of mine sells it and my cousin has a school. Is this a valid career and who is USHA and Liberty National and American Income Life. They are coming out of the woodwork and blowing up my email. Should I stay in medical/ dental sales or give insurance a try????

Back