Anyone Know the Skinny on US Health Group?

I've seen the new plans. They are NOT Major Medical Plans. Smells like, tastes like mega they are also paying their agents like they are NOT Major medical plans as defined in the bill. What state is your friend in?? I'm sure one of us here can get them a real plan. Dan

I'd personally stay away from US Health Group. I don't personally have any experience with them, but I have a friend who used them for a few months and cancelled quickly when they were very shady with him about giving plan details, even after he had already paid them.

USHG plans are not limited benefit plans.

I've sold all the major carriers for the last 10 years, ingested the forthcoming Health Care Reform, and studied and now sold the plans for USHG. US Health offers Health Care conforming insurance in most states. In addition they offer a plan called "Secure Advantage" that has been written with the purpose of approval by state commissioners outside of the parameters of Health Care Reform -- it's been approved in about 17 states so far. Basically, with Secure Advantage, you blow up a major medical plan and then reconstruct it to include everything that the client in front of you needs: Major Medical components like All disease/illness, All accidents/trauma/emergency and then perhaps Wellness. The client then decides upon a deductible beginning at $3K (up to $15K) an 80/20 coinsurance (or 70/30 or 60/40) with no lifetime maximum (or $5M lifetime maximum -- or less if desired). Then, you may add critical illness coverage + supplemental accident + dental, if desired. All programs offered by USHG are in the GWH-Cigna Network with PHCS as a backup in some cases (very rare).

The Secure Advantage plan also offers a three year rate guarantee and is able to pay the writing agent a higher commission b/c insurance falls outside of the Health Care Reform parameters. If you get a chance to review the EOB from 'live' claims you will be impressed. All of USHG brochures offer an extensive limitations and exclusions explanation (like BCBS or Assurant or United or Humana, etc).

I'm not a recruiter, just a writing agent. I've turned down a recruiting position, b/c I always produce better when simply writing life and health business. However, I would recommend further investigation into the writing opportunity by anyone looking for a new place to land, especially with the more difficult landscape for earning $$ writing health ins these days. Unless HC Reform is overturned, this will continue. Underwriting for USHG is basically the same as with any other company.

The reason that the mkt place is responding so strongly to their offer is that most major carriers have been sending out rate increases averaging 25% per year for the past few years for their "individual" clients. These clients, when they understand the USHG offer, love the idea of a 36 month rate lock. Even with a 36 month rate lock, the client is often saving 20-30% when compared to the so-called major carriers.

Recently, I helped a couple -- both age 60 -- reduce their monthly health insurance premiums from over $850 per month to $600 per month with a 36 month rate lock. Again, this is not a limited benefit plan and required extensive U/W, but in the end was approved after 3 weeks. Their coverage included Critical Illness and Supplemental Accident, a fairly low deductible and 80/20 coinsurance + $5M lifetime max per insured.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
You never learned how to use paragraphs in school, did you?

. Even with a 36 month rate lock, the client is often saving 20-30% when compared to the so-called major carriers.

Care to give examples?

Not that I would ever doubt you . . .

You never learned how to use paragraphs in school, did you?

Care to give examples?

Not that I would ever doubt you . . .

Point taken. Please read again as I included an example at the bottom of my paragraph. lol.

To clarify: 80/20 max's out at $15K after deductible, so max coinsurance is $3K with 80/20 deductible selection by client.

I realize that my post may generate doubt, I just encourage any of you to call USHG yourselves to verify. I'm not a spokesperson for USHG, but I do know what I'm writing about. And the information above is accurate. The only real way to investigate is to contact the company yourselves and intelligently review their information.

Purpose of my original post is to offer an informed perspective as I hadn't seen much information on this board that was accurate about the USHG approach to market.

This will be my only follow-up post. The facts/details are out there if one is willing to pick up the phone. Best of luck!

I started working for US Health Advisors in May 2012. No sales experience at all. Relied heavily on managers for training. I've been able to convert folks from BC/BS, UHC and Humana with at least 15-25% reduction in premuims. Another big selling point was the 36 month rate lock.

Back