Assurant Pulls 12 Month STM

somarco

GA Medicare Expert
5000 Post Club
Atlanta
Due to recent developments, we will no longer be able to market our 12-month Short Term Medical option in Alaska, Florida and Georgia. We will remove this plan option from our systems on Friday, January 10. In the meantime, please stop selling the 12-month option in these states. We are evaluating when we will be able to re-launch a 12 month option in these states.

Customers who purchased and were issued 12-month Short Term Medical plans in these states can keep their plans.

Please note the 6-month Short Term Medical plan option is still available in all three affected states.

Why would you sell a short-term option for longer than 3 months? I get it when there's a waiting period of a 90 days at a new job, but otherwise, sell them a individual policy with a $6 deductible and no copays. The rates are close enough. They can always cancel it later.

I try not to sell any STM. Don't care for anything longer than 60 days (to match the group insurance waiting period) but even then it is a gamble due to AAW.

OK. I'll bite.

Who has a true major medical with a $6 deductible and no copay's?

BCBSTX (I only sell in Texas)

You pay the contracted rate at the doc office. I have it. My once a year sinus infection costs me $75. Its fabulous. Around 40% in premium savings, preventative is still covered at 100% and most people don't go to the doc enough to justify the extra premium. And if they do, they are "really" sick, they are going to use the deductible anyway. I love "no copay" plans.

Back