Assurant Taking Type II Diabetics And Other Updates

Crabcake Johnny

Guru
5000 Post Club
Maryland
Just reading product updates and noticed this:

INDIVIDUAL MEDICAL
Diabetes ratings revised

The ratings for the Diabetes Program have been revised to allow for more diabetic and pre-diabetic applicants, which means an expanded client base for you!

Please remember that individuals must meet all the following criteria to be considered for coverage, and other factors may affect the coverage decision also.

Pre-diabetes* or type 2 diabetes only
Applying for a CoreMed or OneDeductible plan with a deductible of at least $2,000
Resident of a state where a rating can be applied
Age 55 through 63
Not taking insulin, Byetta or other injectable medication for diabetes
No diabetes-related health complications (neuropathy, retinopathy with more than two lesions, kidney disease, coronary artery disease, peripheral vascular disease, cerebral vascular disease)
If Type 2 diabetes, no tobacco use within the past two years
* Pre-diabetes includes conditions of glucose intolerance, hyperglycemia, impaired fasting glucose, hyperinsulinemia, insulin intolerance and insulin resistance.

Also....

Effective date change and no prior coverage rating decrease in 17 states

For applications signed or submitted June 1, 2011, and later, when a client does not have prior coverage, please note a change to effective date rules. In AK, AL, AR, AZ, FL, GA, IN, MD, MI, MO, MN, MT, NE, OH, PA, SC, TN, TX, WI and WY, the first available effective date for clients with no prior coverage will be 30 days after the application signature/submission date. If that date falls on the 29th, 30th or 31st of the month, the next available effective date will be the first day of the following month.

Also, for plans with effective dates July 1, 2011, and later, the rating for applicants with no prior coverage will be decreased by 8.7% for OneDeductible plans, 8.7% for CoreMed plans with prescription copays and 4.9% for CoreMed plans with prescriptions subject to the plan deductible in AK, AL, AR, AZ, FL, GA, MD, MI, MO, MT, NE, PA, SC, TN, TX, WI and WY. These rate decreases are included in the state-specific rate changes that appear below.

The effective date delay is already in effect in CO, ID, IA, LA, ND, NV, SD, UT and WV.

And finally, a large rate decrease for these zips:

For effective dates July 1, 2011, and later, rates in Tampa/St. Petersburg (ZIPs 335-357 and 346) have been decreased 48% on OneDeductible and 29% on CoreMed for clients with prior coverage. For clients with no prior coverage, rates have been decreased 52% on OneDeductible and 32% on CoreMed.

Many more state-specific changes - view the agent update.

Last edited:
I can probably count the number of diabetics that would qualify on one hand.

We had exactly one diabetic accepted with Aetna years ago, he was diet only and had no other issues. Then, he lapsed for non-payment, and tried to reapply after he was put on a diabetes pill (glucophage or something). They denied him then. You have to be almost squeaky clean to meet this criteria. The thing is if you are squeaky clean then you probably don't have diabetes in the first place!

Age 55 through 63

I found that criteria to be exceptionally interesting. I suppose if you are younger there is a chance you may not have (yet) developed complications or advanced to injectable meds.

I think you guys are missing something. Most of my diabetic clients are taking metformin (a pill?) and would qualify. Yes/No? I saw this update a couple weeks ago, since it was news to me, called them up, Assurant stated it's been this way since November. I thought I missed something, obviously not since it's being posted now. They rolled this out under the radar (non print). Maybe a last hurrah before bowing out of the IFP biz altogether, or trying to win clients hearts now, knowing they will have to take them in a short 2.5 years with no rate up.

What if they are on BP/cholesterol meds or over the preferred weight limits? I'm guessing the combo is an auto-decline. Most of my diabetic clients that can't get coverage are under age 55.

Are there any other providers offering coverage in GA for type II diabetes for prospects over 55?

I finally found my login info for Assurant sales and it is announced in an update memo for May 2011. Also got an email blast from my RSD.

Back