Assurant vs UniCare

Golddoor

Guru
100+ Post Club
Texico
I have been comparing Assurants and Unicare plans and Unicare is just over all better. For instance when I run a quote for a lady 54 years old with 2 children ages 15 and 12. Assurants one ded PPO plan with a $5400.00 family ded and 80% coinsurance, I get a premium of $584.91 per month. Unicares plan which has a $5200.00 family ded with 80%
coinsurance runs $179.00 per month. How can there be that much difference? Even when I compare the Unicare fit plans with Assurants Core med and Max Plan the UniCare plans wins hand down. How does Assurant stay in business?

Golddoor said:
I have been comparing Assurants and Unicare plans and Unicare is just over all better. For instance when I run a quote for a lady 54 years old with 2 children ages 15 and 12. Assurants one ded PPO plan with a $5400.00 family ded and 80% coinsurance, I get a premium of $584.91 per month. Unicares plan which has a $5200.00 family ded with 80%
coinsurance runs $179.00 per month. How can there be that much difference? Even when I compare the Unicare fit plans with Assurants Core med and Max Plan the UniCare plans wins hand down. How does Assurant stay in business?

O.K. I erased my post. I don't know how I went from Unicare to Golden Rule. Oh well. Thanks for catching that Bob.

Unicare is no longer available in GA and hasn't been for some time. When they were here they had good rates and service. Blue took over their block and almost immediately started giving rate increases.

I know Sti sells quite a bit of Unicare in TX (at least he claims to) so I must assume they are relatively competitive.

When one carrier is significantly below the market on an apples to apples comparison, the real question to ask is, why is the other carrier so low? Eventually a below market rate will come back to haunt them (and you).

The CoreMed plan is cheap, but it is because it has a lot of gaps in it.

I am not sure why Scott zig-zagged on to Golden Rule. He must be getting old . . .

somarco said:
Unicare is no longer available in GA and hasn't been for some time. When they were here they had good rates and service. Blue took over their block and almost immediately started giving rate increases.

I know Sti sells quite a bit of Unicare in TX (at least he claims to) so I must assume they are relatively competitive.

When one carrier is significantly below the market on an apples to apples comparison, the real question to ask is, why is the other carrier so low? Eventually a below market rate will come back to haunt them (and you).

The CoreMed plan is cheap, but it is because it has a lot of gaps in it.

I am not sure why Scott zig-zagged on to Golden Rule. He must be getting old . . .

I just went back and re-read that, that's what we like to call a brain fart.

STI and John went over this on the old forum and STI swore Unicare was better for Texas. However, the price difference you're quoting seems unbelieveable.

NHB_MMA said:
However, the price difference you're quoting seems unbelieveable.

Yea, thats what I thought, but go to each ones website and run a quote for Texas on a a 54 year old female with 2 children and take a look for yourself. Now I know why no one has called back after I quoted them with Assurant. I just got appointed with Unicare so Assurant is out for me!!

There are places where Assurant just does not care about getting business. You take that 54 year old female with two kids with the Texas 75239 zip code and you get $649 for the HSA $5,400 deductible with 100% coinsurance. You go to Austin in the 78727 zip code and now it's $458.

You got to MD 21122 and it's $344 and you to to Iowa at the 50025 zip and it's $272. Go to LA and it's $669.

The bottom line is you do what's right for your client.

john_petrowski said:
There are places where Assurant just does not care about getting business. You take that 54 year old female with two kids with the Texas 75239 zip code and you get $649 for the HSA $5,400 deductible with 100% coinsurance. You go to Austin in the 78727 zip code and now it's $458.

You got to MD 21122 and it's $344 and you to to Iowa at the 50025 zip and it's $272. Go to LA and it's $669.

The bottom line is you do what's right for your client.

I'm lost. Why do they not want the business? Why such a price difference?

Back