Can a Return of Premium Rider/product Be Purchased Separate from the Individual Insurance Policy?

I had an interesting discussion this weekend with a client. Has has bought a Return of Premium (ROP) Term Life insurance Plan and really likes the rider. He asked if a ROP can be added to other types of insurance. I have seen ROP Riders on supplemental health plans and Term life insurance but he was asking about it for other types of insurance. This made me think, can someone buy a Return Of Premium Rider as a separate product to have it be part of other types of insurance. I know in some cases it does not make sense. Although he has had homeowners insurance on his home for over 30 years without a single claim filed. Would it be possible to get ROP Riders on insurance Products other than Term Life and Supplemental health insurance plans? Can an ROP rider/product be bought separately from the insurance policy that does not offer a ROP? Can it be bought on an existing insurance policy??? Thank you! Scott Pollock

Only if offered by the underlying company.

I know of companies that offer disability insurance that offer either a 50%/80% ROP (Mutual of Omaha) or after you reach a certain age (Assurity) and you get the premiums minus any claims.

Keep in mind that due to the current interest rate environment, these riders are generally far more expensive than they have been in the past. Why? Because the insurance company needs to make money in their general investment account while they use your premiums before returning them back, or paying a claim.

Back