Child Only

insuranceconceptscindy

Guru
100+ Post Club
Las Vegas
Here's my situation:

I have a 67 year old couple who adopted a 6 year old. They are currenty insured on the wife's health insurance policy. The wife is planning to retire in the next 30 days, leaving them on Medicare and the child with no health coverage. They are attorney's, so they wouldn't qualify financially for Medicaid.

In my state, Nevada, there are no carriers that will accept a child-only. I spoke to my Golden Rule rep to see if they are planning to reverse the no-kid-only rule for 1/1/14, it doesn't sound good.

What options do I have? It was suggested to do ancillary products, but none will do child-only and most have an age 64 cut off.

I'm stumped. I need some ideas!

Here's my situation:

I have a 67 year old couple who adopted a 6 year old. They are currenty insured on the wife's health insurance policy. The wife is planning to retire in the next 30 days, leaving them on Medicare and the child with no health coverage. They are attorney's, so they wouldn't qualify financially for Medicaid.

In my state, Nevada, there are no carriers that will accept a child-only. I spoke to my Golden Rule rep to see if they are planning to reverse the no-kid-only rule for 1/1/14, it doesn't sound good.

What options do I have? It was suggested to do ancillary products, but none will do child-only and most have an age 64 cut off.

I'm stumped. I need some ideas!

Not an answer to your question, However, sounds like a good Life Insurance prospect.

Yes. I will discuss COBRA with them. I don't know all the details on their situation, if COBRA will be an option. It is something that we will talk about as well.

If group health coverage, then COBRA is an option. You just elect COBRA for the child until 1.01.14.
The other question is whether the employer complies with State COBRA or Federal COBRA.

But then what? Kid has coverage for the rest of the year, but then nothing 1/1/14 because the carriers won't allow child-only. I feel like we're stuck between a rock and a hard place. All my options are temporary. . .

Options are:

1. Cobra - you can keep cobra alone for a child
2. Short term major med with Assurant and IHC who write child only policies until Obummercare
3. All companies have to write child only policies on the exchange starting 1/1/14

Unless they've changed it recently, NV prohibits State Continuation for groups under 20 to anyone who voluntarily leaves their employment.

Back