CNN poll

I think you cited a poll that is somewhat bias towards Employer and or Government provided H/C. No doubt, the obvious tide of Employers no longer providing H/C is creating problems, but if left alone by the Government this will eventually be worked through. My fear is that our Government has no intentions to allow Private H/C work through it and basically biting at the bit to step in and take over H/C.

The basic flaw is that Employer provided H/C is cheaper or less costly to the participant.

All polls are biased, one way or another. This is just another view on the same situation.

Given that the govt is backing away from Medicare & Medicaid (higher premiums, tougher qualifications, higher deductibles & cost sharing) I don't see them moving in the other direction on a large scale basis.

For sure there are pockets where crazy politicians are making a bid for votes such as in MA & CA. But in the end those plans will not work as envisioned. We saw where MD tried to pass the Wal-Mart legislation and WM reacted by threatening to pull out of the state.

Any time the govt tries to interfere with the free market the outcome is never what was intended.

GA just revamped their Medicaid system because it was losing money. Now all participants have to go into a managed care system (HMO). During the process of setting up the sytem, which has its' flaws, they discovered that 1/3 of the people on Medicaid did not qualify.

As bad as that seems, it was a ho-hum reaction from the press. They were more concerned about the number of people who would (or did) lose coverage than the fact 1/3 of the previous budget for Medicaid was wasted!

I even contacted some "investigative" reporters and got a so-what from them. They considered it old news since the state audit was 6 months ago and only now published along with complaints from providers about slow pay & no pay on Medicaid patients.

Over the past 4 years I've contated many media outlets hoping they'd run a story about just how many options people have for health insurance and trying to dispell the myth that it's not affordable. Zero bites. Why? Because that's not a negative story that pulls ratings. It also doesn't fit into the liberal concept that "the people" are always being screwed.

Your picture says it best. The big guy is the liberal media and we are the little guys who know the truth.

I just talked to a girl who hates all insurance comapnies. They only screw the people. Forget the fact that when you pay $5000 out of pocket for the $100,000 hospital bill, you were able to keep your house (happy story, will never make the news, if they lost the house, then front page).

You don't need insurance. You just need to save enough money so you can pay out of pocket ($5 million max benefit, then just save $5 million and you will be fine).

Talked to a lady today who is a mortgage broker . . . no insurance. After some negotiations we came up with a plan that seemed to suit her for $460 per month. Simple plan. Just a $2500 deductible then 100%.

As I was starting the app she mentioned . . . oh, by the way . . . my husband went to the doc last week because his back was hurting. Doc gave him some medicine, it got better. Now it is hurting again. When will this coverage go in to effect so he can schedule another appointment.

Coverage will probably be approved in about a week. His back won't be covered.

Then I don't need insurance. I can just take out a home equity loan if something goes wrong.

Really? Do you have a line of credit for $680k? Just thought I would ask because a family friend was in a car accident in June and they went through $680k of insurance proceeds in about 6 weeks time.

How many of your clients actually get their money's worth from their policies? How many get as much back as they pay in?

I can't really say, but since, on average, 20% of the people generate 80% of the claims paid by carriers I would say about 20% of my clients at one point or another will feel their policy is worth every penny they paid.

Insurance is such a rip off. You pay all this money and never get it back.

I look at it like this. Insurance is something you buy when you don't need it, then you pray you never use it.

So do you want to pay for your first month by check or credit card?

$2500 or $125,000.

What would you rather pay?

Sure take out a home equity loan for the amount. Then you can be upsidedown on your house & unisurable. Oh, your husbands back went out, he cannot work, you have no insurance, and you owe more on your house then it's worth. And you are in the finacial field. You have just become your own worst senario story.

Insurance is not an investment, it is a trasfer of risk. You are getting the piece of mind that the above will not happen.

Back