Over 150.000 insurance professionals and consumers come to the Insurance Forum every month. Click here to register for FREE

Go Back   Insurance Forums > Insurance Agents and Brokers Forum > Health Insurance and Ancillary Benefits

Reply to Coordination of Benefits Explanation     
Old 07-07-2017, 01:40 PM   #1

State: Jmuduke is an Insurance Agent from
Coordination of Benefits Explanation Coordination of Benefits Explanation
Hello all I just had a quick question regarding coordination of benefits and how it works. My wife and I both have health insurance through our respective employers. However we've already paid $4,000 and met my deductible for my insurance.

Or concern is, we're only $2300 away from meeting the max out of pocket for my health plan and being 100% covered. Her deductible through her insurance is $2500. My real question is, if her plan is designated as the primary, will our payments to the deductible on her plan accumulate toward the max out of pocket on my plan?

Thank you in advance for any advice!
------------------------------------
  Reply With Quote to Coordination of Benefits Explanation
Old 07-07-2017, 09:42 PM   #2
Guru
LGilmore on Coordination of Benefits Explanation

State: LGilmore is an Insurance Agent from Washington
LGilmore is a member of 1000 posts VIP club
Coordination of Benefits Explanation Re: Coordination of Benefits Explanation
Going to depend on what state your in. In mine you are both the primary on your plans. Secondary on the other. In your plan booklet if you look there will be a section that addresses this for you. Take some time and go through your options. in some plans a secondary insured gets their deductible and co insurance picked up on the primary. BUT, again some states are different. Your booklet will be correct for your state. If you don't have it, ask your HR person to provide it or go online as it might be there with the carrier.
Old 07-08-2017, 07:49 AM   #3
Guru
somarco on Coordination of Benefits Explanation

State: somarco is an Insurance Agent from Georgia
somarco is a member of 5000 posts Super VIP club
Coordination of Benefits Explanation Re: Coordination of Benefits Explanation
Duplicate health insurance is almost always a money loser for the insureds.

The answer to your question is no.
Reply to Coordination of Benefits Explanation 

Insurance Agent Forum > Insurance Forums > Insurance Agents and Brokers Forum > Health Insurance and Ancillary Benefits