Coordination of Benefits Explanation

Jmuduke

Hello all I just had a quick question regarding coordination of benefits and how it works. My wife and I both have health insurance through our respective employers. However we've already paid $4,000 and met my deductible for my insurance.

Or concern is, we're only $2300 away from meeting the max out of pocket for my health plan and being 100% covered. Her deductible through her insurance is $2500. My real question is, if her plan is designated as the primary, will our payments to the deductible on her plan accumulate toward the max out of pocket on my plan?

Thank you in advance for any advice!

Going to depend on what state your in. In mine you are both the primary on your plans. Secondary on the other. In your plan booklet if you look there will be a section that addresses this for you. Take some time and go through your options. in some plans a secondary insured gets their deductible and co insurance picked up on the primary. BUT, again some states are different. Your booklet will be correct for your state. If you don't have it, ask your HR person to provide it or go online as it might be there with the carrier.

Duplicate health insurance is almost always a money loser for the insureds.

The answer to your question is no.

Back