Disability Wait

bpenn9

Guru
100+ Post Club
Utah
As my specialty is Medicare and not individual health insurance I have some serious personal questions regarding my wife and am turning to my fellow professionals.

My wife has officially been diagnosed with ankylosing spondylitis and Fibromyalgia. She has a full time job with benefits. Both of her physical conditions should qualify her for disability. With both conditions she would not qualify for ind health insurance until 2014 when health care reform kicks in.

I am looking for suggestions or seeing if I am missing any options. She could quit her job know and go on COBRA till 2014. Loss of income between benefits and her wages are probably a net of $3500. The Utah risk pool is not a good option as we live 4 hours from network providers. From what I understand she has a 1 year wait after she quits her job before she can qualify for disability and another 24 months before she can go on Medicare. My business continues to grow but loosing a net $3500 would still be tough. Any ideas how to make this less painful or speed this process up?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions. I have been so busy with AEP I unfortunately have not really had time to think this through.

When you speak of disability I taken you are speaking of social security disability as opposed to a di policy that is already owned.

Maybe I missed something, but does she need to quit now? Especially if she has full benefits.

Maybe I missed something, but does she need to quit now? Especially if she has full benefits.

Full benefits through her work. It is getting tougher for her to work each day. Guess we need to make a decision here soon.

Hmmm...you're certainly doing enough forethought that I hope things are resolved to your satisfaction. All the best to you and your family.

You have a dilemma.

If she continues working that is proof she is not totally and permanently disabled, meaning she can't qualify for SSDI.

If she stops working, you have the income & health insurance crunch.

Disability Planner: What We Mean By Disability

Social Security Online - Medicare Information

What if her condition is one her physical limitations grow as the disease progresses? Seems like she would be penalized for trying to tough it out in the meantime until things get unbearable?

As a general rule, to qualify for SSDI the old saw was if you could sell pencils from a tin cup while sitting on a busy street corner you were not disabled.

But under the Obama administration, the number of folks granted SSDI have swelled considerably.

It used to be that you must have been totally and permanently disabled for at least 5 months, unable to perform any duties of gainful occupation. Further, the disability was expected to last at least 12 months or result in death.

Social Security Total Permanent Disability Requirements | eHow.com

According to these pages it now appears there may be other ways to qualify.

How Do You Qualify Medically for Social Security Disability or SSI? | Disability Secrets

SSDI (Social Security Disability) Overview | Disability Secrets

As a general rule, to qualify for SSDI the old saw was if you could sell pencils from a tin cup while sitting on a busy street corner you were not disabled.

But under the Obama administration, the number of folks granted SSDI have swelled considerably.

It used to be that you must have been totally and permanently disabled for at least 5 months, unable to perform any duties of gainful occupation. Further, the disability was expected to last at least 12 months or result in death.

Social Security Total Permanent Disability Requirements | eHow.com

According to these pages it now appears there may be other ways to qualify.

How Do You Qualify Medically for Social Security Disability or SSI? | Disability Secrets

SSDI (Social Security Disability) Overview | Disability Secrets

Thanks for the info. My wife is a tough cookie. She is having shots in her back tomorrow, we hope this helps and she can attempt physical therapy soon.

Back