Doing Fact Finders for Health Insurance

Hello, everyone
I am about to get some telemarketing leads for health insurance. I plan on selling face-to-face.

I know that some like to close a sale on the first visit or use closing techniques to try and get the sale. That is not me, I am not comfortable doing things that way. I like to be more of a consultant than a sales person. Of course I still want to get the sale, just in a different manner.

I plan on setting face-to-face appointments by phone, with the client. I don't plan on showing any plans on this first appointment. I plan on introducing myself, give some history about myself and what I do, build some sort of rapport...and then do a fact finder.

I will find out the clients current health insurance situation. What they like about their current plan, what they dont like. Have they had any large rate increases lately, What's important to them in a plan..etc .I will have medically quailfied them during the appointment phone call already, so no need to ask a lot of medical questions, just what I need to fill in the gaps.

Once I am done with the fact finder, I will set a second appointment to go over the proposals and recomendations with the client. I will do a pre-pre close before I leave. " Mr. Jones, If I can show you a plan during our next visit, that will save you a significant amount of money and increase your benefits, Is their reason why you would not want to move foward at that time? "

Then I would take my time with the information I gathered from the client, and find the best fit for their needs. I will use everything they told me to aid me in my second visit.

I know this is more work on my part. But I feel knowing myself that I would close more sales like this and do a better job for the client. What do you guys think? Does anyone have a good fact finder, for health insurance, that they would be willing to share ?

Start by asking two questions.

1) Tell me what you DON'T like about your current coverage, other than the premium.
2) Now tell me what you like.

This is all you really need to know as long as they are insurable.

Thank you somarco.
I have a few things I will ask to medically qualify them before I see them.
What are all the questions you ask when you are medically qualifying someone?
What can I say to make my pre-close sound better? or does it sound ok?

I always ask if they find me attractive.

Helps to break the ice and "ya never know..."

A bit surprised you didn't borrow Rod Stewart's line . . . "Don't you think I'm sexy?"

FER, ask for DOB, ht & wt. If you have a fatty best to know up front. If the BMI exceeds 35 you can probably forget it.

Ask them what meds they are taking and what they are for. That will tell you a lot.

My first qualifying question is always "Do you take any meds?"

Once they respond you will get an idea if you have a live one or not. You can follow up with asking if they have been hospitalized in the last 5 yrs and if they have anything major in their history like cancer, heart attack or diabetes. Those can be deal breakers too.

I find it easier to ask about meds first since most will think that is not as intrusive as asking if they had cancer.

If you have an idea what will fly, what won't with the carriers that will help. This comes over time for most agents. Just because they don't have a heart attack in their past doesn't mean they can't qualify.

Someone taking 6 meds that cost $700/mo probably isn't going to make it through underwriting unless they are willing to take a bunch of riders.

FER. there is no pre-close, trial close, close if you have done your job.

" Mr. Jones, If I can show you a plan during our next visit, that will save you a significant amount of money and increase your benefits, Is their reason why you would not want to move foward at that time? "

Sounds like a used car salesman.

The only closing question I ever ask, and this is up front before I ever commit any serious time to the prospect, is this.

"How soon are you looking to make a change?"

I let them know up front, it doesn't matter to me if they buy today, tomorrow, next week or next month. All I ask is this.

If I have helped them find the plan that meets their needs and budget, I would like to be their agent.

Somarco, at what point do you ask them " How soon are you looking to make a change" ? Is it when you first call them ? Or is it while you are doing your presentation? What do you say if they tell you not right now?

Back