Entering insurance - is United Insurance Group a good place to start?

Magnificat

I am just entering the insurance field but have 10 years of experience in the mortgage field selling refinances through direct mail I did on my own. That worked great for 10 years here in Michigan but not so much anymore with home values plummeting the way they have.

I was wondering if United Insurance Group is a good place to start. I can't find much information good or bad on the internet. It seems they focus on the senior market, which appeals to me, but I'm wondering if this is a captive outfit and also wondering if I would be better starting with a friend who does health insurance. He said he would mentor me and focuses his marketing on purchasing "A" leads, placing tri-folds in local businesses and signs place along the road saying "affordable insurance." I'm a little worried about that last tactic because of local ordinances and such, which he kind of disregards. Any good input is appreciated. Thanks.

UIG is a very large organization that has been around for almost 30 yrs. It would be a great stepping stone for you, as the senior market is ripe.

It sounds like your friend is new to the business and definitely working for a captive company. Only a captive would be talking about A and B leads.

UIG may be captive contractually, however you can sell many different carriers thru them as an independent.

Thanks, Michael. I think these guys pay for training and licensing and am hoping I could learn quite a bit before making any long term decisions. I have an interview tomorrow and I think it's a group interview, which worries me.

A friend of mine tells me that any company generated leads are not worth working, which is what UIG provides. This is a major reason he says not to go with a company like this. Would you have an opinion on that? Thanks again.

Honestly, whatever you do is a numbers game. If you step it up and buy lists/leads in addition to what they give you, you'll likely enjoy much success.

Take the training in stride and don't be afraid of people. Too many agents tap dance, walk on egg shells, or talk to the prospect as they're the Queen of England. They are people just like you and me. They need a quality product and are trusting you to provide to them. You get to walk with a nice commission and a spring in your step.

The marketing of medicare products is changing (more stringent) however hard work always pays off.

If your mentality is 'what can i do for me' vs. 'what can you do for me', you'll kill. Best of luck!

Mike

Back