Florida Look Back Period for Preexisting Conditions - Need Confirmation

Regardless of what law you read, here is how it applies at each company in the real world, as each treat it differently.

First, all applications ask for the last 5 or 10 yrs of medical history.
Next, having creditable coverage makes a difference.
Lastly, each company approaches it differently:

1. Aetna and Cigna - if you have creditable coverage, they don't rider/exclude medical conditions, and the pre-ex waiting period is waived, if approved, and probably rated up. If NO CCC, all pre-ex treatment within last 1-2 years, will not be covered for the first 11-12 mo, even with approval and rate up.

2. Goldenrule/Humana/Assurant - CCC doesn't matter except for pref/standard pricing. Each of these companies can rider a condition indefinitely. If they don't rider/exclude upfront, then they are assuming the risk and covering the pre-ex. Each have waiting periods built in for certain conditions.

Don't do BCBS FL. Above not applicable to children. My E&O is not covering this, make your own calls once you narrow down company/plan.

Why do you say not to do BCBSFL?

Why do did you quote his ENTIRE post and not just quote where he said that? No wonder some forums are pulling their quote feature. :mad:

Anyway what he meant to say because I read it like you is that 'HE' don't do Blue or another words, he doesn't offer it AKA does not have it in his bag AKA not appointed with BCBS. ;)

OB1 is correct, you misread it. While I'd like to be, I'm not appointed to do BCBS FL, so I couldn't comment further on the subject of the thread.

It's really a shame, the whole "captive" BCBS FL structure. Too bad FL Blue doesn't allow non resident agents to write policies (even independent FL resident agents). It creates adverse incentives for agents to "ghost" write, it doesn't allow an independent broker like me to be a "full broker", and you twist your own agents' arms to write Blue first. None of these is good for the client.

If I'm wrong, and you can get me appointed as a non resident agent/agency, my website is below.

One of the things that BCBSFL requires is the exclusive part. Not my rule, but I do agree to follow it. I agree with you that it some agents allow others to write Blue Cross or some agents agree to the Blue Cross contract and then do not follow it. Regardless, they are breaking a contract. Would be nervous to have an agent that thinks breaking a contract is ok. Again, I'm not saying I agree with the BC policy, just that I follow it.

So you agree that the BCBS FL agent guidelines distort the agent marketplace and ultimately hurt the consumer in FL? I doubt they'll be able to have any exclusivity influence once the exchanges launch, or that's just will fly against the "spirit of the law".

BCBS AZ doesn't require exclusiveness, which allows me to be a true broker offering all major medical plans in arizona.

Back