FYI...The Medical Loss Ratio (MLR) Report

kennethbroyles

Guru
100+ Post Club
Health Care Policy and Marketplace Review
A Health Care Reform Blog––Bob Laszewski's review of the latest developments in federal health policy, health care reform, and marketplace activities in the health care financing business.

SUBSCRIBE

Subscribe in a reader

THURSDAY, APRIL 26, 2012

The Medical Loss Ratio (MLR) Report—Just Fiddling While Rome is Burning..

Health Care Policy and Marketplace Review: The Medical Loss Ratio (MLR) Report—Just Fiddling While Rome is Burning

So all agents are now charging fees?

Kaiser Health News said essentially the same thing yesterday.. that agents are now charging fees to help clients choose the right health insurance.

I was going to post the question in the Healthcare Reform section, but you've started the thread here. It will be interesting to see how many of the members charge a fee.
-ac

"Hi, my name is Joe Blow insurance agent, and I will write the exact same policy that other agents have quoted without a service fee! Just call 1-800-IMWHORE" Probably not many.

Some agents sell products, other agents provide a service. A fee can easily be justified for the latter (if your state permits it). If health insurance was so easy, you wouldn't be reading this forum.

A fee can easily be justified for the latter (if your state permits it).

Define easily . . .

Can't speak to other states but in GA if you charge a fee and earn a commission you are supposed to disclose the commission and show that it is an offset against your fee.

Business owners pay consulting fee's for professional services but most individuals do not unless you are talking high end professional services such as for asset management.

There are quite a few folks out there that think they pay more for their insurance if they go through an agent vs. direct to the carrier. Frankly, I don't have the time or desire to explain to them why I would want to charge a fee. Much easier to let them go direct or through a navigator and find other ways to earn a living.

Charging a fee - much easier said than done, especially if you sell online. You going to ask you to mail a check? Send them your PayPal link? Good luck with that.

Latest posts

Back