Group Health Question

timamr

Guru
100+ Post Club
Any experts in group coverage, please help.

I sell individual but a referral asked me to help a family member. Here are the details:

He is getting married in 2 weeks so then he can get on his fiances group plan. My question is this: Would there be a waiting period or can he just get added to her plan once married, or would he have to wait until the next enrollment period to get on her plan? Hopefully this gives you enough info to go on to answer my question.

Obviously I would not sell an individual policy to him today and have it cancelled in a few weeks if he could get on his fiances group plan when they get married but just wanted some input from the group experts as to whether or not I can start determining my commission check or not ;)

Shucks! There goes my next commission! (unless she leaves him at the alter) :biggrin:

thanks LGilmore. He is going to have her check with her benefits coordinator/HR person to find out for sure. Thanks for both of u guys' input!

thanks LGilmore. He is going to have her check with her benefits coordinator/HR person to find out for sure. Thanks for both of u guys' input!

In the future you may want to call the benefits coordinator your self. They are a great referral source for people that are coming off of the group plan due to retirement or job change, and also for people that want benefits that the employer may not offer.

Last edited:
Great idea CentralSolution! I did speak with the gentleman today again, and seems like he has decided to postpone his marriage for quite awhile, so looks like I am gonna write this policy after all! Amazing what you find out when u speak with them again.

He was a referral from a referral. The first two has not bought but it's funny how this biz works if u work!

Thanks for everyones input!

Great idea CentralSolution! I did speak with the gentleman today again, and seems like he has decided to postpone his marriage for quite awhile, so looks like I am gonna write this policy after all! Amazing what you find out when u speak with them again. He was a referral from a referral. The first two has not bought but it's funny how this biz works if u work! Thanks for everyones input!

He puts off marriage and you close the deal? THE definition of win win.

Back