Health Insurance OOP Costs - Americans Can't Handle This!

You know you're in trouble when even the Kaiser Family Foundation doesn't understand that the Out-of-Pocket is what their studies should focus on.

I just ran a quote for a single non-subsidy person on HealthSherpa. The lowest Silver Deductible is $1,500, but the out-of-pocket is $6,450. It's a 70/30 plan from our state's Co-op. The lowest OOP among the 47 Silver plans available is $6,000!

The crazy thing that I never understood (and gave up trying to) is that Silver plans are supposed to cover 70% of medical bills. Bronze = 60%, Gold=80%, etc.. If you have $100,000 in cancer treatments they do far better than those percentages. But if you have a $5,000 injury...

Allen, have you started recently with health insurance? No offense intended whatsoever, just trying to get a bearing on where your at.

The percentages are based on what is termed the "actuarial equivalent", this is NOT the same as saying that 70% of each bill is payed by the insurance company (that would be a straight 70% co-insurance). What it is saying is that of ALL the claims made in a given year for a specific block of business, 70% of the TOTAL of claims will be paid by the insurer (company).

This works out since most claims are small (under $5,000) so for those small claims, the insured (consumer) picks up most of the cost, but the insurance will kick in once the deductible and max out of pockets have been met.

Lets say I have 10 claims in my block of business and the plan has a $5,000 ded with 100% co-insurance after that so the $5,000 is the max out of pocket as
well.

Of these claims, I have

5 for $1000 each - total of $5000 - insureds pay all claims
4 for $5000 each - total of $20,000 - insureds pay all claims
1 for $75,000 - insured pays $5,000 and insurance company pays the other $70,000

In this case we have $100,000 in total claims, the insureds are picking up $30,000 and the insurance company is picking up $70,000, in this case, the plans benefits have worked out to be silver level or 70% actuarial equivalent because the company is picking up 70% of the TOTAL claims.

August 13, 2015

The latest surveys indicate that many of the newly insured can't pay their Out-of-Pocket costs. But after talking to a client who had his deductible/OOP waived by the hospital, it occurred to me that medical providers have hyper-inflated the cost of their services over the years enough to offset people who don't have the $$$ to pay their OOP. If the treatment is relatively expensive, that $6,850 "loss" is already built into the price. Does this sound plausible?

This takes me back.

Years ago I worked with a guy that would put all kinds of things on his expense account. He even took extra clothing on trips and sent them out to be dry cleaned, then put that on his expense account.

One week he put aspirin on the report. Boss called and said aspirin was not covered and would not be reimbursed.

But I had a headache (his response)

Still not covered.

If it weren't for this f****ng job I wouldn't have the headache.

Still denied.

Back