*HELP* Health Insurance for Over Age 65 with Green Card

vtecvick

Hi guys I'm trying to help out a family friend of mine. He is currently the age of 70 years old. He has a green card and is in and out of California. He needs to have a kidney transplant and has a specific hospital in Rochester, Minnesota.

Questions I have are:

1. Can you still get health insurance over the age of 65 if you don't have medicare.

2. Would a PPO insurance cover the Kidney transplant in another state (minnesota)

I appreciate all the help

Sorry for two threads its just very important.

Hi guys I'm trying to help out a family friend of mine. He is currently the age of 70 years old. He has a green card and is in and out of California. He needs to have a kidney transplant and has a specific hospital in Rochester, Minnesota.

Questions I have are:

1. Can you still get health insurance over the age of 65 if you don't have medicare.

2. Would a PPO insurance cover the Kidney transplant in another state (minnesota)

I appreciate all the help

Sorry for two threads its just very important.

Yes, he can get health coverage only through the CA exchange/marketplace if he is not eligible for medicare. (not direct to carrier)

Yes, he is even eligible for a subsidy if he wants.

Yes, if he lives in CA, the only way to get covered in MN would be a PPO.

The question is .........which carrier as I'm not licensed in CA. I'd say one of the Blues may be your best shot, and Assurant's us of the nationwide Aetna PPO if they are selling on the marketplace out in CA.

Im not lic in CA but he might consider applying for Anthem off exchange asap
And staying in network...if he isnt medicaid eligible.
Plan B...visit social security admin and possibly buy into medicare..could be several hundred a month or more.

He doesn't want medicare. He doesn't qualify for it according to him. Hes perfectly ok with paying for health insurance even if its 2,000 a month. It beats paying 100s of thousands of dollars for a kidney transplant.

It seems to me Blue shield PPO is the network he needs but I can not get a clear answer from blue shield.

If he were to get Blue Shield PPO through CoveredCA (marketplace) can he go and get a surgery done in another state? I called multiple departments and they don't have a clear cut answer for me and they just keep transferring calls to every department.

Im not lic in CA but he might consider applying for Anthem off exchange asap
And staying in network...if he isnt medicaid eligible.
Plan B...visit social security admin and possibly buy into medicare..could be several hundred a month or more.

Look he has very very few options and truthfully nobody's going to give him an answer. He's looking for an answer but he's really not going to get one. He's just going to need to apply see how it turns out. He can apply on his own or he can apply with assistance from an agent in that state. But nobody's going to be able to give him a certain answer. And yes the blue network is probably the best way to go.

Anthem no longer offers any BlueCard on CA plans (because they offer the MSPP), only Blue Shield PPO has BlueCard benefits on their PPO.

Attachments

• BlueCard Program_A43405_8-14.pdf
    202.1 KB · Views: 3
This is the wording in the benefit summary for blue shield PPO 90 that is confusing. Whats the allowable amount? Is a kidney transplant considered out of state emergency or non-emergency care? I cant find the applicable benefit either.

CARE OUTSIDE OF CALIFORNIA
(Benefits provided through the blue card program for out of state emergency and non-emergency care are provided at the preferred level of the local blue plan allowable amount when you use a Blue Cross/Blue Shield Provider)

Particpating Provider-See Applicable Benefit

Non Participating Provider- See Applicable Benefit

Back