Hot Off the Press: Aetna Out in Indiana

Ron Van D

Guru
100+ Post Club
Just got this email this evening:

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]New sales of Aetna Advantage Plans discontinued in Indiana

[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Effective immediately, Aetna is discontinuing new business sales of Aetna Advantage Plans for Individuals, Families and the Self Employed in Indiana.

Online quoting and application submission for Indiana Aetna Advantage Plans has been disabled.

Note: We will continue to offer AARP® Essential Premier Health Insurance Plans, insured by Aetna and Small Group Plans (groups with 2-50 employees) in Indiana.
[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Why are we making this change?
[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]After reviewing our individual health insurance plans in Indiana, we determined we can no longer meet new customer's needs and remain competitive in that market.

While this decision was not easy, a number of factors were considered before making this important decision. In keeping with the best interests of our customers, we believe there are other insurers who can better meet their needs
Indiana.
[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Impact to existing policy members
There is no impact to existing members at this time.
We will continue to allow existing Indiana Aetna Advantage Plan members to add spouses and dependents to their plans. However, existing members will not be able to change plans.
[/FONT]

I rarely used Aetna in Indiana. Their rates are (were) typically VERY high. On occasion, in certain pockets of the state, they would be somewhat competitive.

In nearby Ohio, which is called the Buckeye state, their rates are better, but still not competitive. Did you know Ohio is called the Buckeye state?

In nearby Pa...again...in pockets, they are very competitive.

Accurate News Ron...but just I think they are a bit late with their emails to you!

Good-Bye Aetna

Well, I'm offended. How dare they not notify me first? It could be due to not writing a single piece of business with them. But, I'm still offended.

PS: I know that Ohio is called the Buckeye State ( I was raised in Port Clinton). A worthless nut is an apt mascot.

Don't feel bad Ron. I don't write much Aetna in Indiana either and I was notified about a month before that email I received. Another broker in another state warned me he "heard" it was coming. I guess he was right.

Port Clinton? Wow...that's way up there. Did you get a lot of lake-effect snow? (affect?)

Last edited:
Back