How Can Agencies Offer Top Training and Hire Anyone?

COInsguy

Guru
100+ Post Club
I've been looking over a lot of postings lately & other AMAZING CAREER OPPORTUNITIES (LMAO). Everyone offers the best training in the market to agents, but on the same page will offer anyone contracts.

Top Training in my opinion would require a good amount of Time, support, expenses to give an agent "Top Notch Training" so how can someone just offer this to anyone with a pulse and the ability to pass a rather ridiculously easy state test?

I've been in various sales fields where I have received some excellent training and support. I really had to prove to those employers I was worth investing their time and money into me.

So with that, I'm curious what the field of Insurance considers to be "Top Notch Training" from an MGA/GA/IMO whoever is offering it.

(Obviously we are excluding the superb training you get from the Primerica's, NAA, Mega, or whatever they're calling themselves these days)

I was part of the training wing for new agents in a previous captive job, and quite literally anyone can learn sales. It is simply a matter of wanting to.

What we cannot teach is integrity. Sadly, too many agents have that attitude where they will do anything for the $$$$. And they cannot be convinced that by screwing over thier customers they have blown an unknown number of referals and long term relationships.

In my current position as an independent salesperson I still maintain that anyone can be taught to sell a product if they 1) believe in it and 2) believe in do what's best for the customer. If a person is willing to that they are worth investing in.

While not everybody can have the "best" training program for new agents, many have excelent support systems. On the flip side of the coin when an entity is advertising themselves, you kind of have to take it with a grain of salt.

Just my 2 bits,

-Brian

I agree 100%, I will never just hire anyone just because they have a pulse, it's an interview process like any other job.

Building an agency for me is about quality, not quantity.

I've been looking over a lot of postings lately & other AMAZING CAREER OPPORTUNITIES (LMAO). Everyone offers the best training in the market to agents, but on the same page will offer anyone contracts.

Top Training in my opinion would require a good amount of Time, support, expenses to give an agent "Top Notch Training" so how can someone just offer this to anyone with a pulse and the ability to pass a rather ridiculously easy state test?

I've been in various sales fields where I have received some excellent training and support. I really had to prove to those employers I was worth investing their time and money into me.

So with that, I'm curious what the field of Insurance considers to be "Top Notch Training" from an MGA/GA/IMO whoever is offering it.

(Obviously we are excluding the superb training you get from the Primerica's, NAA, Mega, or whatever they're calling themselves these days)

quite literally anyone can learn sales.

-Brian

Many Top Sales Guru's will 100% disagree with this statement.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
I agree 100%, I will never just hire anyone just because they have a pulse, it's an interview process like any other job.

Building an agency for me is about quality, not quantity.

Very True.

Especially in this industry, where agents can jump ship anytime the mood strikes them.

Last edited:
...quite literally anyone can learn sales. It is simply a matter of wanting to.

I have to completely disagree with you on that. Some people don't have the aptitude and some people don't have the humility.

Very simplistic. There are around 100 different factors that come in to play with becoming a self-made millionaire.

What if you have the skills and attitude and decide to sell convertibles in Alaska.

So even if we give you that "all skills are learnable" is everyone who passes a pretty easy test teachable?

My point in this post is if (As plenty of major organizations say) they will give you top training and support. How can they justify this with all the yahoo's that get their insurance license.

If I took the time & energy to REALLY give every *** I've talked to top training I would be broke, really annoyed, and have wasted years of my life.

So while someone who is willing to learn, willing to work hard, and has the skill set an agency is looking for then you can devote and provide "Top Training" However, to provide that, the people giving that training have to be very successful themselves too.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
In my current position as an independent salesperson I still maintain that anyone can be taught to sell a product if they 1) believe in it and 2) believe in do what's best for the customer. If a person is willing to that they are worth investing in.

While not everybody can have the "best" training program for new agents, many have excelent support systems. On the flip side of the coin when an entity is advertising themselves, you kind of have to take it with a grain of salt.

-Brian

There are people who can be taught to sell according to your terms sure. Throw a 100 leads at someone with a little product knowledge and they will stumble into a deal somewhere.

Can an agency devote top training and support to that person?

Whats the use of a support system for an agent who doesn't know how to sell?
Complete A-Z Training on Products, Sales, and Technology takes more than a few web conferences. My point in posting is this is that it's impossible if you will give a contract to anyone.

You can have 1000+ Agents but if only 40 of them are making a living you have 960 that are wasting your time energy and money.

Last edited:
Let's just for conversation sake say it's "top training", they can offer it but it not matter to the agent. The "you can lead a horse to water" mentality. I've worked with some agents that are simply to arrogant, simple, lazy, unmotivated, irresponsible, unintelligent, etc to become a good agent. The agents inability to learn and adapt doesn't mean the training wasn't stellar.

In order to train an agent and make them exceptionally talented they do need to have some ability and trainability. I met a kid the other day that has a ton of energy and raw talent, but he really needs a good beating and intensive grooming to reach excellence. Unfortunately for him I run a business and not a charity.

Let's just for conversation sake say it's "top training", they can offer it but it not matter to the agent. The "you can lead a horse to water" mentality. I've worked with some agents that are simply to arrogant, simple, lazy, unmotivated, irresponsible, unintelligent, etc to become a good agent. The agents inability to learn and adapt doesn't mean the training wasn't stellar.

In order to train an agent and make them exceptionally talented they do need to have some ability and trainability. I met a kid the other day that has a ton of energy and raw talent, but he really needs a good beating and intensive grooming to reach excellence. Unfortunately for him I run a business and not a charity.

So what your saying is that you will put in the time and training for the right people but not for the ones like the Kid you met the other day right? This is my point really, you won't contract anyone and give them great training because not everyone deserves it or is ready for it maybe in this kids case.

You boiled down my point here well "To Run a business and not a Charity" you either have to just contract everyone and "throw it against the wall to see what sticks" or..."Put the best training and support in place for those who are worth your time"

Back