How Do You Deal with Angry Prospects

No please tell the angry ones to write to hhs.gov
Whitehouse.gov
Senate.gov

Dont waste that anger on kicking the dog or yelling at an agent

----------

Redirect the angry ones to do something remember they voted for POTUS
They shouldn't waste that anger for nothing!!!!!!

I had one in my office right in front of me that was this livid. He came in to ask about health coverage for his step son. He was particularly interested in whether or not he'd have to pay a penalty on him if he didn't get insurance. I asked who claimed him as a dependent, and he said he does. He was FURIOUS and was acting like I was the one who drafted the legislation. "YOU are gonna tell ME that I have to pay the penalty for HIM?! Nuh uh...see...that ain't gonna work. He's not even my biological SON! I just married his mother!" All the while the kid is sitting there stoic. As much as I told him not to shoot the messenger and that I was just helping people sign up, I didn't make the rules (or even enforce them). He finally bursts up from the chair and says, "Let's go." And then looks at me while walking out and says, "You're worthless!"

That was a good day!

A key to dealing with an angry person on the phone is NOT to take it personally. When people are frustrated, unreasonable, and toxic in the discourse with you, being patient enough to listen, ask questions, give feedback to clarify your understanding can go a long way to helping them to calm down. In this process, you do need to set your redlines though. You are happy to help, or to schedule another time to talk.

The last thing you want to do is give quick or even instant solutions.

I am the worst person to talk to when I am frustrated. I always try to put myself in their shoes. Sometimes it is enough to understand what they are feeling.

First - the client doesn't value an agent's services. In his defense though - these awful "unaffordable" products we have to offer off exchange (or on - for that matter) are terrible for the money, and the money is HUGE - especially for the self employed. We should have a lesser option (skinny catastrophic plan with hospitalization & drug coverage) to offer, but we don't. So . . . .I'm just telling people that there's not a lot I can do except educate them on networks, etc. and the options available. If they don't like those, or don't believe that's it - well - God Speed . . . .we're going to lose the individual market eventually anyway. Its designed to make it really hard to use an agent - even if a person wants to.

I don't deal with the public or anonymous phone in leads so am in a different situation but I just don't have time to mess around with people who are complaining. I give them one full review and consultation, then I am done if they can't make a decision.

I've found the best way to deal with anyone who is unhappy is tell them you will send them the rates and plans and they can make their own decision, then end the conversation. Move on to the next client and forget to follow up with the unhappy one.

I did that today after 40 minutes on the phone with a client with 3 kids who isn't subsidy eligible and, after I showed him how to get Catastrophic coverage for the 4 of them for $100 a month less than the least expensive Bronze plan wanted me to find him a less expensive Catastrophic plan-the conversation ended 2 minutes later and I won't be answering the phone again for him. It bothered me for at least 2 minutes then wound up submitting 2 apps for Platinum plans that were unexpected and finished a few lower cost plans, that more than compensates for the small commission for the Catastrophic plan next year.

Back