Humana Cutting Commissions

2 of the 3 carriers no longer paying commission

Would those carriers have the largest networks and best value vs the remaining carriers that are (as of this point) paying commissions?

Reminds me that for years carriers were exiting the business or selling their block. Where do you think UHC came from? We used to stand by the machine and fax 40 RFPs when working to take a group from another agent. It was easy to win the business especially if the other agent was lazy and didn't shop.

Now there are perhaps 5 carriers for group, 5 for individual and only 1 or 2 are competitive. Actually, here Blue Cross' S network wins which means only 1 carrier. How much would you pay in commission if you were the only game in town?

You may be able to make money on individual med with volume and streamlined enrollment but not at 0 commission. I haven't seen a good way to streamline the process especially on-x and likely won't bother getting certified next year. Time to sell something else.

Would those carriers have the largest networks and best value vs the remaining carriers that are (as of this point) paying commissions?

The two lowest premium carriers, UHC and Humana, have gone 0%, but they have local hmo or ppo plans respectively in my area. BlueCross is still in, and has the broadest network available, but had a 30+% rate increase from last year that left them out of contention for many of the people I have run across this year. Combine that with the fact that network S has had contract negotiations break down with a major hospital system here, and it's a tough shoe to fill.

two lowest premium carriers, UHC and Humana, have gone 0%,

Then I suspect you are done, you just don't know it yet.

Only thing I have had to sell the last 4+ years is Humana. Saw the handwriting on the wall in 2013 and told my clients I would get them through renewal then I was done.

Pretty much stuck to my guns on that. I took myself to $0 before the carrier did (after I had done all the work).

Back