Humana One Good or Bad?

NCnatwidagent

Super Genius
100+ Post Club
I'm currently in the process of getting appointed with Humana One and Golden Rule here in NC.
Right now I'm only appointed with Assurant and am looking for a better carrier to go with.
Any thoughts on Humana One or Golden Rule as far as premiums, underwriting or any hassels that have been experienced?

I like the fact Humana allows the client to conduct a phone application. so easy. online apps we as agents loose control because the client has to sit and fill it out. phone app... done in a short time period.

i also like the product offerings here in the great state. enhanced copay is nice

They are hit or miss. At times they are easy to work with and underwriting is a breeze at others they are a pain in the ass. Currently they have begun ordering medical records on every single one of my prospective clients.

I am not a big fan of Humana. Don't get me wrong they are a legit carrier that will pay claims. The phone app in my experience takes up to an hour to complete.
If they are competitive in your area then you have to have them in your tool box.

GR is/are a serious player in the individual market nation wide. They have a couple of goofy things about them but they are streamlined.

If you are planning on writing a lot of policies then you need 2-3 main carriers.

Humana One has several values that no other carrier has

First, the phone app is the quickest way to get to a decision. Yes, it can take 20 to 60 minutes to complete, depending on the applicant's medical history, but a paper app takes that long, too. Usually a person calls the client back within 24 hours if more information is needed. They always keep me informed by e-mail, immediately after each step is completed. In my experience, Humana issues very quickly and only requires medical records on about 10% of the cases I have sent their way. I use (or misuse!) Humana often for a "quick" decision, and sometimes as a "prescreen". It's my quickest way to get someone an effective date, and also the quickest way to get a valid underwriting decision.

I have found that Humana often takes clients that no other carrier would take. Every carrier has its niche. Humana won't take anyone with colon polyp history for instance (without a rider), but they took my client with seizure disorder and IBS, and took a client who uses Ambien when every other carrier declined. Go figure.

Humana is a pain in the neck after the sale, though. Customer service is horrendous, as is billing. Please, please don't use the Employer List Bill. What a nightmare. Renewals aren't great. Their options at renewal is very restrictive. For instance, if a client has an old plan and at renewal wants to take a new plan, and is willing to submit current medical condition disclosure, Humana says they must actually cancel their old plan and go without Humana for 6 months before applying for the new plan. What? They also like to encourage clients to take their "no Rx coverage" plans whenever the client calls direct.

Golden Rule? Also a product with some usefulness, but a carrier that I particularly dislike. Their rates are great, but 2nd year renewals spike it. Their underwriting is super slow, and they often issue riders and rate-ups. Sometimes riders are great if other carriers would decline, though. Communication is pretty good. I've been wary of them, because Golden Rule has been in the IFP market in AZ twice before, and United Healthcare tried IFP once before. They exited the market each time, only to come back later. That's a big black mark in my estimation. I'm also wary of Golden Rule (United Health One), because they stick weird exclusions & limitations in their plans whenever they can (recently those were mostly eliminated by PPACA rules, though).

I hope that helps.

I like Humana. Of course, I only write their ST and never use the phone app.

Their rates are all over the place. In selected zip codes, they are competitive with jet-quick issue.

My Mother The Car
Mr. Ed
All In The Family
Lost In Space

if a client has an old plan and at renewal wants to take a new plan, and is willing to submit current medical condition disclosure, Humana says they must actually cancel their old plan and go without Humana for 6 months before applying for the new plan.

That's a new one on me. Have not heard that.

Did run into a situation last month where a guy had an STM with H1 that was expiring.

No, you cannot reapply for a new one, you have to go uninsured (with H1) for 6 months then come back.

I put him with Assurant.

They also like to encourage clients to take their "no Rx coverage" plans whenever the client calls direct.

I have called their hand on this numerous times and they swear they are no longer doing that, but afraid that is not the case.

GR does the same thing and clients are following the advice and possibly digging their own grave.

"Did run into a situation last month where a guy had an STM with H1 that was expiring.

No, you cannot reapply for a new one, you have to go uninsured (with H1) for 6 months then come back."

I've been informed (by Humana Agent Services) that a client can buy ONLY ONE STM from Humana. That's ALL....ever.

I've never tried to go back (even 6 months later) with SAME client.

HumanaOne now offers rewrites on Short Term Medical Plans

Great news. Effective Nov. 1, you can now rewrite your short term medical business which means your clients may be able to get the coverage they need for a longer period of time.
Your client's can apply for additional Short Term Medical coverage from HumanaOne, however there are a few important points you should be aware of:

If your client has had a total of 12 months of Short Term coverage (whether consecutive or not), they must wait 3 months before applying for another plan. For example,
If your client has 12 months of consecutive short term coverage, a 3-month break is required before they can apply for a new plan.
If your client has only had 3 months of coverage, the policy can be rewritten until they've reached a total 12 months of coverage. They would then be required to take a 3-month break in coverage before they can apply for a new plan.
If your client has 6 months of coverage, takes a two month break, then has 6 more months of coverage, both of these coverage periods count toward the 12-month rule.. Again, a 3-month break would be required before they can apply for a new plan.
If your client is/was termed due to non-payment, and has not reached 12 months of coverage, they are eligbile for a rewrite.
An application and enrollment fee (if required) will be collected each time a plan is rewritten.
Rewrites are available in all states where Short Term Medical is available except for Michigan and Ohio. (Regulations in these states do not allow rewrites.)
In Colorado, Short Term coverage is limited to 6 months with no more than two short-term plans during the past 12 months
If you haven't looked at our Short Term Medical plans in awhile, now is the time. Our short term plans are an affordable, timely solution for temporary medical coverage. Your client's can choose a plan that fits their budget, and a timeframe they need. Plus, applying is fast and easy-- they can receive coverage as soon as the day after they apply.
If you would like more information about these products, please contact your local sales representative. You can also quote our Short Term Medical plans through the agent workbench.

Thank you for choosing HumanaOne.

Sounds like it was written by Congress . . .

I have never been a fan of Humana........probably no rhyme or reason for it.......just never had a reason to sell them.

Our first and foremost is BCBSTX, then UHC, if I can't get them with either of those then they are off to the risk pool.

Back