Individual/Family Looking for Best Health Insurance Co for Open Enrollment. NO MARKETPLACE

hed424

Hi, my husband is self employed and I am a homemaker so we purchase our health insurance ourself. We have had Independence Blue Cross for the last 5 years. Everything was fine until we joined the marketplace. I can not wait until open enrollment so we can leave the marketplace and get our health insurance privately directly through the insurance company. At this point, I'm exploring other health insurance companies. Over the last year I spent hours on the phone with IBX customer service and supervisors and the level of service was horrible. I want to leave them just because their service was so bad but we really never had any problems with our plan. Are there any health insurance companies in PA that are really well known for their customer service? Or any health insurance companies that you recommend over IBX? We like co-pay plans and paying more a month and not having a deductible. Thanks!

Hi, my husband is self employed and I am a homemaker so we purchase our health insurance ourself. We have had Independence Blue Cross for the last 5 years. Everything was fine until we joined the marketplace. I can not wait until open enrollment so we can leave the marketplace and get our health insurance privately directly through the insurance company. At this point, I'm exploring other health insurance companies. Over the last year I spent hours on the phone with IBX customer service and supervisors and the level of service was horrible. I want to leave them just because their service was so bad but we really never had any problems with our plan. Are there any health insurance companies in PA that are really well known for their customer service? Or any health insurance companies that you recommend over IBX? We like co-pay plans and paying more a month and not having a deductible. Thanks!

If you are happy with the plan, and not with the marketplace, you should find a good agent in your state. If you want to get a tax credit for your health insurance the maketplacend is the only option.

No such thing as good customer service at any carrier anymore.
Got worse about 3 years ago. Wonder why?

In today's ACA world, it's a choice between worst, worse, and less worse.

If you buy the cheapest plans along with everyone else, the volume will overwhelm the carrier, and service levels tank. Has happened every year for past 3 years. You get what you pay for I guess.

If you buy a middle to higher premium carrier in the market, the volume and stress at the carrier seems to be more manageable.

With only 1 or maybe 3 carriers in each market, there will be no hiding this year from the service disaster coming at those carriers, and at HC.gov. Everyone will be buying the same carrier. And now that agents are mostly removed from the picture, the volumes will only spike this year even more.

You do not say in your post, but are you getting a subsidy to lower your premiums? I ask since you may not be aware there are two ways to purchase ACA plans:
- "On Exchange", whether on your own or through an agent (HIGHLY recommended)
- "Off Exchange", or as you say "direct with the insurance company". If you go this route you will not get a subsidy as they are only available for "On Exchange" plans.

I'm a Broker in Western PA if you'd still like some help. Respond to this message if you are and I'll send you my email.

You aren't going to find what you want in an individual/family plan, it is likely that the same companies offering plans through the Marketplace are offering them Off Exchange in your area.

The days are gone where insurance companies offered outstanding customer service, Assurant was the last remaining holdout and was so buried by claims they closed down the division.

Very sorry that koolaid was toxic. Many people have done what you did, cancel the good plan because somebody on TV said their plan was bad or inadequate or not compliant.. Make America great again.

This may be an ignorant question. I have very little interest in what goes on with Obamacare these days. But isn't the great customer service supposed to be coming from all those salaried people they are paying called Navigators?

What happened to all the Navigators? You never hear anything about them.

Back