Individual Health Insurance Marketing

I don't have any agents. They are all independent - I'm there for training and support regarding product knowledge and underwriting. Any agent who needs their hand held to write business doesn't do too well in this biz. I tell all agents that B to B is the best technique and give them the flyer that's worked for me over the last 4 years.

I no more expect them to hold me responsible for their income then I'd hold Assurant, Aetna or Blue Cross responsible for mine.

I go through a brokerage for Blue Cross; Kelly & Associates. They're responsible for supporting me. I'd love to call them one week and say "Hey, I didn't write a deal last week!" just to hear them say "who are you again?"

One mothod that worked for me well

This method worked well for me. It might be because of the area I live in. I would print out a one page flier. On the flier I would say something like Save up to 47% on your current health insurance. List insurance companies I work with and a picture of a family smiling. Then I would go to real estate offices. most real estate offices have anywhere from 20 to 150 agents. At least in California they do. All agent have whats called drop boxes. I would leave a flier in every box. I would get a great response with those and it does not take long at all since in is all in one place. All the real estate agent a self employed and most are overpaying for their health insurance. Good luck!

Dennis A.

Re: One mothod that worked for me well

thebeacon said:
This method worked well for me. It might be because of the area I live in. I would print out a one page flier. On the flier I would say something like Save up to 47% on your current health insurance. List insurance companies I work with and a picture of a family smiling. Then I would go to real estate offices. most real estate offices have anywhere from 20 to 150 agents. At least in California they do. All agent have whats called drop boxes. I would leave a flier in every box. I would get a great response with those and it does not take long at all since in is all in one place. All the real estate agent a self employed and most are overpaying for their health insurance. Good luck!

Dennis A.

I have dropped off my flyers in the boxes of over 500 realestate agents and have yet to recieve a call from any of them!

I did the real estate fliers when I was marketing health, and it would take an average of 3 drops before I got a phone call. They usually have so much stuff from other real estate agents (house listings), home appraisers, home inspectors, mortgage brokers, insurance agents, etc. that your flier can get lost easily.

Be persistent. Keep on dropping them. Eventually you will get some calls. The more they see your flier the more comfortable they will feel in calling you.

Re: One mothod that worked for me well

Golddoor said:
thebeacon said:

Dennis A.

I have dropped off my flyers in the boxes of over 500 realestate agents and have yet to recieve a call from any of them!

There's no rhyme or reason for this. I quote averages and percentages but that's exactly what they are - percentages.

I can get out 3,000 doorhangers one week and get 20 leads. Another week I can put out 3,000 and get 4 leads. I once put out 2,000 and didn't get a single lead. A few days later I put up 200 and got 4.

Basically, it's all over the map but it all comes out in the wash with consistency. I track all the neighborhoods I put out marketing materials. I've gone through 500 home neighborhoods and not gotten a single lead then 5 months later hit it again and get 3.

Same with BtoB. I can do 3 hours of BtoB on Monday and get 6 leads. Tuesday I can do 3 hours and get 2 leads. I've done 2 hours of BtoB before without a single lead.

I've had weeks I simply busted my ass marketing and everything blew up - clients stalling, uninsurable, no one calling me back and struggle to submit $6,000 AV.

I've had weeks when everything seems to hit and it's $30,000 AV. Don't over-think it - just work an 8 hour day every day.

That is right John!

They may not need your service now, but in 3 months that can change.

How much junk mail do you get in your mail? Sometimes you scan it over and toss it. But there is going to be that night you get home late, you do not feel like cooking, so you use that Pizza Hut coupon that you just got.

That is how your marketing works as well. A real estate agent see the Doc, their insurance company gives them a hard time, and then they see your ad in their box and BAM, a phone call.

All any agent is doing is catching people at the right time. When you're only marketing to 100 people a week it's hard to find someone who's at the moment when they care about what you're selling. When you're markeing to 3,000 people a week now you're in business.

Guaranteed that the high failure rate among all agents is they simply do not marketing to enough people per week. On average, I have about 4,000 marketing pieces per week.

At a 1% return - or even less, it's between 20 to 40 leads. Most are junk - broke or uninsurable.

You can easily see that only marketing to a few hundred people per week just doesn't work.

BtoB changes things since the rate of leads is 5%. Now you can get away with only contacting a few hundred people per week and making a living.

Can someone take John's original post and apply it to the Senior Market?

I read this post a while back and apparently disregarded it since it seemed to be directed at underage market, self employed and what not.

What would be the most effective ways of marketing to Seniors?

Mostly I'm using a T65 list and telemarketing for appointments. I'm not doing any mailers... yet. Fortunately I have a rather large warm market since I live and play golf in a Senior Community so referrals aren't too bad. I am doing a couple of seminars very soon for this newfandangled Part C & D of Medicare. That should generate a good amount of leads for Med Supp, Life & maybe some LTC.

As a bonus I'll generally just stalk the local Bingo Halls and Luby's Cafeterias.

Back