Local marketing ideas

Crabcake Johnny

Guru
5000 Post Club
Maryland
Here are a variety of ways you can market locally:

Ads in Local Publications
Placing ads in state or regional papers is generally a bad idea. Ads are very expensive in large papers and your ad gets easily lost. However, your locality may have several small publications with inexpensive ad placement and high visibility. When you're out and about grab a copy of any free publication and call to find out their ad rates. Don't forget your church bulletin or creating advertising opportunities. An example would be ads on paper place mats at your local diner.

I don't recommend very small ads - 16th of a page or smaller. Although they might be extremely inexpensive they are also extremely ineffective. You also cannot simply run an ad once and expect maximum results. Placing ads in local publications involves a long-term commitment.

Community Bulletin Boards
Check your local grocery store for a bulletin board as well as any other place of business that has a board for business cards or flyers. Don't make the mistake of just posting a flyer with your phone number. Most people passing by these boards don't have a pen to write down your number. Have a flyer with tear off tags so they can take your number with them. You can also design a flyer with a pocket and place your business cards.

Table/Booth Space at Local Events
Almost all public events allow sponsors from fairs to trade shows to races (3K, 5K, 10K, etc...) Go into the local section of your paper for upcoming events and contact the event coordinator. You can rent a table at some of the smaller events from $50 to $200. Trade shows can be more expensive. Just remember that you'll need a display and giveaways before you book yourself. You can Google "trade show displays" and "giveaways" to find prices.

Do not buy expensive giveaways - especially for large events. If you're new you might think $1.50 giveaway is cheap. However, if 500 people come by your booth/table that's $750. If you're at a popular weekend event such as a fair or art & crafts show you could have thousands of people stopping by.

Also, if your giveaway is too expensive people will stop by just to grab your item with no intention of giving you their information for a quote. While it's unrealistic to think everyone that stops by will fill out a quote card you absolutely don't want to choose a giveaway item that's so "cool" that just about everyone at the show will want one.

Giveaways should be something that most people will keep that obviously have your information printed on it. I've gone to shows and seen businesses giving away item like Slinkies (the kids toy.) Everyone wants one but hardly anyone is giving their information. Not only that, but people throw away the box that has your company's information after they open it. Bad idea.

A good suggestion is to start going to some trade shows and local events to pay attention to what businesses are giving away. You'll probably pick up some great ideas.

If you're at any of these events don't plant yourself in a chair behind the table and just allow people to take the giveaways. Your goal at these events is to get people to fill out quote request cards so you can contact them after the event. You should be front and center behind or in front of your table and even if people don't want a giveaway you should at least be handing everyone a flyer.

Take One Displays
Some of your local businesses might allow counter top displays. Here's an example: POP Displays, Point of Sale Display, Retail Stands, Racks, Fixtures, Trade Show Displays, Banner Stands You can Google "brochure displays" for competitive pricing. If you walk into a business that already has one or more displays, changes are they won't mind yours. Always ask the business owner or manager if it's ok.

Local Websites
Check to see if your town or city has a website and if so find out the cost to place an ad.

Magnetic Car Signs
You can also just Google "car magnates" or contact you local sign shops for prices. You can also look into stenciling for your rear window.

Chamber of Commerce
Joining your local chamber will likely cost from $150 to $500 depending on your area. But if you have a very active chamber you can make a lot of valuable contacts. If you're going to concentrate on your local market this is a "must join" organization.

Networking Groups
You can join local network chapters of groups like BNI. Be wary about some of these networking groups. Some charge rather large fees and will all by require you to attend frequent meetings. They will also expect you to provide leads for their businesses. Also remember that especially in the case of network group you'll be seeing the exact same people week after week.

Some network groups are fine, the meetings are geared towards sales, marketing and closing techniques and it's mainly social. That's fine. Other's are harder hitting with more of a focus on getting and receiving leads. I'd suggest you sit in on a meeting before joining any network group.

You generally need to be sponsored or the requirement is they cannot have another insurance agent in the group. Although you might get excited to find out that your local group doesn't have an insurance professional it's quite likely because the last one quit.

The reason you need to sit in on a meeting is some of these groups have true professionals; accountants, financial planners, other legitimate small business owners, etc...However, some are packed with MLMers - (multi-level marketing) who are wrapped up in everything from Tupperware to Pampered Chef to Market America. The only thing those people want is for you to sponsor a party or give you as many contacts as possible so they can call all your friends and family. Your better local groups do not allow anyone who's in a MLM.

Anyone with more local ideas?

Good stuff.....

I have placed small adds in classified section of small newspapers and trade publications. Inexpensive and always gets a few calls. One liners
"Health Insurance call 407-555-5555"

Here are a variety of ways you can market locally:
Ads in Local Publications
Magnetic Car Signs
You can also just Google "car magnates" or contact you local sign shops for prices. You can also look into stenciling for your rear window.

Will some of their wealth rub off onto me??

:D

Gosh, John, I found a couple of NASE magnetic signs from those halcyon days selling that dreck! They were stashed in my storage locker. Do you think I can recycle them? :err:

when pumping gas and if you see a card holder with the stores gas credit card advertisement on the gas pump....take those out and replace with your business card......then hit the other pumps......

now...here in austin we a chain of BBQ place's that part of the decor of the place was to put up bulletins on a board outside the place as people would walk in.....I got about 3 to 9 call a week and had to replace them every week(pull tab about health insurance for self~emp)......well worth the time and something to start back in 08....

As I have magnets on my vehicle I'll comment on that. The web address I have on the magnets is not listed anywhere else on marketing materials so I know the hits come from the magnets.

I'm averaging about 25 hits per month. A lady followed me home from the mall over the holidays and asked for a card, last week in extreme North Georgia a guy beside me at the gas pumps asked for a card.

It's very cheap advertising, just make sure you're vehicle is always clean.

As I have magnets on my vehicle I'll comment on that. The web address I have on the magnets is not listed anywhere else on marketing materials so I know the hits come from the magnets.

I'm averaging about 25 hits per month. A lady followed me home from the mall over the holidays and asked for a card, last week in extreme North Georgia a guy beside me at the gas pumps asked for a card.

Excellent post, and excellent point.

You're much better off with marketing that is measurable. If not, there's no way to gauge the impact and effectiveness.

Man, I knew there was a purpose for this board. I never thought of that - I could get a few different domain names and use a different addy when I do various advertising and be able to track all of it. Outstanding. Right now I get a lead through my site and I have no idea if it's from an ad, flyer, doorhanger, etc...

To take the vehicle advertising to the next step. Instead of the magnets, take the vehicle to a sign place and get it vinyl lettered, logo, slogans, website, etc. Looks 1000% better than the signs. Cost $200-500

If you want to take that to the next level, you can "wrap" a vehicle, looks even better, photo quality, cost $2000 and up.

I have done it to multiple autos and it works. I have not done it for the health insurance yet, but other areas of insurance and other business ventures.

You will be surprised how much lettering you can fit on the back of an AMC Pacer window!

Back