Looking for Advice for Health Insurance

Loco

Hello All,

This is my first post here as I have stumbled upon this forum while searching for insights to which health insurance company to go with.

A little about me:
I live here in Michigan. I am 6'2" and about 240 lbs never a smoker or drinker and no current health issues that I know of. Also no on going health issues or taking meds for any reason. I haven't been to a doctor in reality other than twice that I can recall in 3-5 years because of lack of insurance. I am never really sick, so I have just optioned not to have it since times were tough for a little while and I knew of no way I could afford it at the time.

A little background on what I have done so far:

With all of the above being said I filled out a few of the online health insurance quotes request and the calls came flooding in from about everyone and their brother. GoldenRule, Cofinity, Assurant, HealthMarkets, UniCare, etc... All this being said so far from my research I have found alot of negatives from most of the companies across the board from law suits with HealthMarkets to misrepresentation from most of the others.

Advice portion:

Not knowing alot about the health insurance field and what I should be looking for and looking out for what would you those here recommend? Any companies that have a real bad history and that I should avoid all together? and if so why? Are there any good health insurance companies out there left? any recommendations? and why? Please keep in mind I need them to cover Michigan. With my above information what would a single individual expect to roughly pay for monthly premiums? coinsurance? deductable?

thanks,

- Rich
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
I am looking for basically recommendations for best overall coverage and as little bull **** as possible. The last thing any of us want is to be dinked around if there is ever a need for major medical coverage.

By the way the one thing I left out is 1 of my initial goals after getting insurance again after all these years is a good physical. I also know that I am about 20 lbs over the "preferred" coverage by some brokers and that isn't a problem. My jeans let me know that as well and now that work is going well and it's finally warming up here I will be working hard at resolving that as well.

I am not sure how I feel about the limited coverage for doctors visits (since some companies offer as few as 2 visits per year) so I want to keep that in mind as well. Those that cover 8+ visits do appear more appealing. Again not that I plan on useing them but I guess the "what if" still wants me to prepare just in case.

And what about dental options in addition?

again thank you all for any advice in helping me sort out what is best for my situation.

- Rich

Last edited:
You have done everything except what you need to do in this situation.

Find a broker you feel comfortable with and let them assist.

There are plenty of good companies and if you look hard enough you will find some consumer board somewhere where someone has a beef with XYZ or ABC carrier.

You have a couple of strikes against you. No coverage now and haven't seen a doc in a while. You did not give your age but good chance a carrier will not touch you until you have had a physical.

Forget about copays. You don't have one now, don't need one. Just a waste of money.

Let an agent show you a good cat plan and be done with it.

Rich,
I am in Rochester Hills and I'm sure I can find something for you. I'm contracted with all of the companies you mentioned (and more) except for healthmarkets. Since I'm independant, I have no bias or affiliation with any 1 company so I can give u pro's and con's about all plans. Pricing is exactly the same whether you purchase from any agent or directly from a company, so it's in your best interest to use an independant agent. If you'd like to speak further, my direct line is 248-608-4341.
ps: Pricing is related to age more than anything else, so I can't give a rough price without that.

as far as my age I am 30 yrs old. December I'll turn 31.

I was hopeing for maybe a bit more insight. but what do you do....

again my biggest concern isn't that I'm not healthy, but rather limits in coverage (dr's visits, etc..) or in the event of something unexpected happens, being "left holding the bag".

- Rich

Uninsured, you are "holding the bag" for everything. You are focusing on the wrong things. Cat cover is what you need.

Back