Lost Our Tax Credit Because They Thought my Husband Has Medicaid

Which he does NOT. I am an insurance agent and so I bought our policy through the MarketPlace/ HealthCare.gov. My monthly premium is only $37 since I'm not making that much money yet after expenses and my husband drives Uber. Anyway on August 29 instead of Blue Cross taking $37 they took $339.00. I called and was told by the Marketplace that they believe my husband is eligible or may have Medicaid or CHIP. We never applied for that and he's perfectly healthy, he doesn't need Medicaid. So I "reapplied" over the phone to get our tax credit back for the rest of the year, but I had to file an appeal to get the $300 back from the September premium that they took out August 29th.

We live in the state of Kansas, and I called the state of Kansas and ask them if I could get a letter or something stating that my husband does not have Medicaid and that we never applied for Medicaid. They told me the only way I could produce such a letter is if we apply for Medicaid and he gets denied.

This seems like a complete waste of time and resources not only for me but the state of Kansas. My husband most certainly will not qualify because he's only 31 years old and he's perfectly healthy. We're just simply self-employed. So I filed an appeal, and I just got off the phone with the appeals representative who made absolutely no sense. She said we have to prove that he didn't have Medicaid or didn't qualify for Medicaid on August 29th. Well since the state of Kansas won't give me a letter unless we apply, and in fact that won't even matter cuz we have to apply now which is not August 29th.

There's no way for me to get that letter. The state of Kansas is saying no we can't give you a letter like that you have to apply and get denied. So my only next step is to contest the appeal with a Federal representative. So to make a long story short my question is has anyone else ever heard of anything like this happening? Is there a chance I'm going to get our money back?

Also, the state of Kansas told me that they were getting an irregular high volume of calls related to people with the same problem. Can anybody help??

Which he does NOT. I am an insurance agent and so I bought our policy through the MarketPlace/ HealthCare.gov. My monthly premium is only $37 since I'm not making that much money yet after expenses and my husband drives Uber. Anyway on August 29 instead of Blue Cross taking $37 they took $339.00. I called and was told by the Marketplace that they believe my husband is eligible or may have Medicaid or CHIP. We never applied for that and he's perfectly healthy, he doesn't need Medicaid. So I "reapplied" over the phone to get our tax credit back for the rest of the year, but I had to file an appeal to get the $300 back from the September premium that they took out August 29th.

We live in the state of Kansas, and I called the state of Kansas and ask them if I could get a letter or something stating that my husband does not have Medicaid and that we never applied for Medicaid. They told me the only way I could produce such a letter is if we apply for Medicaid and he gets denied.

This seems like a complete waste of time and resources not only for me but the state of Kansas. My husband most certainly will not qualify because he's only 31 years old and he's perfectly healthy. We're just simply self-employed. So I filed an appeal, and I just got off the phone with the appeals representative who made absolutely no sense. She said we have to prove that he didn't have Medicaid or didn't qualify for Medicaid on August 29th. Well since the state of Kansas won't give me a letter unless we apply, and in fact that won't even matter cuz we have to apply now which is not August 29th.

There's no way for me to get that letter. The state of Kansas is saying no we can't give you a letter like that you have to apply and get denied. So my only next step is to contest the appeal with a Federal representative. So to make a long story short my question is has anyone else ever heard of anything like this happening? Is there a chance I'm going to get our money back?

Also, the state of Kansas told me that they were getting an irregular high volume of calls related to people with the same problem. Can anybody help??

Last time I was involved in an appeal, a couple years ago, the appeals department--a whole different entity than the reps we talk to day to day-- was very matter of fact and reasonable. They were aware of the sometimes puzzling errors, and just wanted to settle up based on facts. You may not be so lucky, but worth a shot.

We never applied for that and he's perfectly healthy, he doesn't need Medicaid.

My husband most certainly will not qualify because he's only 31 years old and he's perfectly healthy.

You qualify for Medicaid due to your income. Plenty of healthy 31 year olds have Medicaid.

To qualify for Medicare, on the other hand, you either have to be over 65 or disabled.

Make sure you have the right program in mind when you take the steps to fix this.

You qualify for Medicaid due to your income. Plenty of healthy 31 year olds have Medicaid.

To qualify for Medicare, on the other hand, you either have to be over 65 or disabled.

Make sure you have the right program in mind when you take the steps to fix this.

Thank you for your reply. I have sold more than 70 Medicare Advantage Plans. I understand the difference. We don't qualify for Medicaid or Medicare. We bought individual health insurance plans through the AffordableCare act on HealthCare.gov
In Kansas healthy people do not qualify Medicaid unless they are pregnant or disabled.

Yes, you can't prove a negative.

Yes, you will get your $300 back when you file your taxes and reconcile tax credits received.

Yes, u r in marketplace purgatory, enjoy the ride.

Read your mail as you got a notice, over estimate your income to not be on medicaid cliff, and don't do bank draft in future if u can't afford a marketplace screw up.

Know thy enemy

I have lived in Kansas all my life and I specialize in Dual Special Needs Medicare Advantage Plans for Kansas residents, so I know what I’m talking about. If you are able bodied, the State of Kansas expects you to work and get your own Health Insurance or go without.

Click the link below, scroll down and even take a self assessment. Apply for KanCare

I'm just sorry to hear you live in Kansas..... It also seems like you're asking for help but really don't want any as you're arguing with those who have engaged. Good luck to you, you're an agent, you can figure it out.

Back