Mega Strikes Again NASE/UGA/HEALTHMARKETS

They've become very heavy handed on their key broker contracts and I think you need to maintain 100 apps a year. That's easy if GR is your main company. It's very difficult if they're not. Assurant just wants $100,000 in production to keep a 25% GA contract which is about 30 deals a year. Golden Rule also won't give you a key broker deal unless you can prove that you've written 100 cases in the past 12 months with other carriers.

http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/news/local/16204660.htm

Insurance pitch misses the mark
One company tops the list of complaints alleging insurance misrepresentation.
By MIKE CASEY
The Kansas City Star

Pricie and Hershel Kelley believed the insurance agentÂ’s pitch: TheyÂ’d be getting health coverage just as good as their current plan. Maybe theyÂ’d pay a little more for prescriptions.

Then Pricie Kelley of Worthington, Ohio, said she checked on prescription coverage and found it paid only a small fraction of a $332 bill.

“It didn’t give us anything,” she said. “All it did was cause a lot of headaches.”

The couple complained last year to the Ohio Department of Insurance that the Mega Life and Health Insurance Co. agent misrepresented the sale.

Scores of other complaints alleging misrepresentation have been filed against Mega. Of all the insurance companies examined in The Kansas City Star’s database analysis, Mega had the most complaints for misrepresentation — 236 — from 2003 through 2005.

Misrepresentation was the second-most-common complaint that consumers filed over the selling and marketing of insurance. In selling insurance, truthfulness is crucial since many consumers rely on their agentÂ’s and insurerÂ’s promises.

In the Kelleys’ case, Ohio regulators determined that the agent sold the couple insurance that left them “in worse condition” and found that the agent, Kelly Routt, misrepresented the policy. To settle the matter, Routt recently agreed to pay a $2,600 fine and $400 in administrative expenses. She did not respond to a letter requesting an interview.

Mega, based in North Richland Hills, Texas, apologized for the problem, required Routt to undergo additional training and refunded the KelleysÂ’ premiums and other costs of about $2,000.

Questions about Mega also have prompted state regulators to launch a multistate customer service audit to evaluate its sales practices, claims payments and other issues. The company is cooperating.

UICI, MegaÂ’s parent company, was acquired by private equity firms this year, and the parent companyÂ’s name became HealthMarkets. HealthMarkets said it shouldnÂ’t be judged by MegaÂ’s past performance.

“HealthMarkets has made extensive and vital changes to its processes and practices,” the company said in a statement, citing improvements in training agents, explaining policy details and handling consumer complaints. “We strive for superior customer care and satisfaction.”

Complaints over misrepresentation and overall complaints against the company declined from 2003 through 2005, The StarÂ’s analysis found.

A settlement last year in a lawsuit against Mega, however, illustrates how some policyholders felt they were misled.

Doug and Dana Christensen of Playa Del Rey, Calif., told a Mega agent in 2001 that they wanted good medical coverage. Doug Christensen was a cancer survivor and might need chemotherapy if he suffered a recurrence, according to court records.

Within months, Doug ChristensenÂ’s cancer painfully returned. His wife canÂ’t forget what she was told when she called the hospital after several months of treatments.

“I’m sorry, you’re not allowed through these doors because your insurance is capped out,” Dana Christensen recalled. “I took him to another hospital’s emergency room. It was a nightmare.”

Doug Christensen died in 2002, and Dana Christensen was left with about $450,000 in unpaid medical bills. MegaÂ’s plan covered less than 20 percent of her husbandÂ’s care, according to court records in her lawsuit.

Mega’s chemotherapy coverage provided a maximum daily benefit of $1,000 — far less than what such treatments typically cost — and paid less than 10 percent of $325,000 in those expenses, said Tony Stuart, Christensen’s lawyer.

“If this policy was honestly presented to people, no one would buy it,” he said.

WhatÂ’s more, a former Mega agent in a sworn affidavit submitted in the Christensen lawsuit said that he was trained to misrepresent the coverage. James Helton, who did not sell the Christensens their policy, stated he told other customers that the planÂ’s maximum benefit provided more than enough coverage, but he later learned otherwise.

“To say it is not adequate is an understatement,” Helton told The Star.

Dana Christensen settled the case for $1.7 million.

HealthMarkets said MegaÂ’s former parent company settled so Christensen could pay the medical bills, but did not admit any wrongdoing.

“The company firmly believes our sales agent … properly disclosed what our policy covered, what it did not cover and how much coverage it offered,” HealthMarkets officials said.

http://www.kellyroutt-ins.com/

Re: Mega

moonlightandmargaritas said:
Just got off the phone with a guy who's wife just had a 4 way bypass...and coverage with Mega. He's just now realizing what sort of exposure he had/has. Poor b*stard. How do they get away with this limited stuff without some disclosure? Or is it ultimately the consumer's fault for not doing enough due diligence? I talk to some people with their coverage, and they think it's the greatest thing since sliced bread.

Good question. I think that it comes down to consumer demand. So many consumers demand health insurance that pays the first dollar costs that companies offer plans that satisfy thoughs needs at a lower cost by leaving out (or limiting) the catastrophic coverage. And it's the catastrophic coverage that is most important.

OMG, what a can of worms.

I started as a NASE/Mega agent and resigned before writing a policy. I couldn't believe how the agents were taught to sell what was not major medical. I went on my own, selling major national companies with major medical plans and since added the products of UandIWIN. Anyone who is a Mega agent who wants to be honest with yourself and face your customers year after year, contact me and I'll help you move forward with a lot of highly reputable major medical companies through UandIWIN.
I do love Mega customers as I feel like a hero every time I run into one and put them on a major medical plan.

John, It was 6 months of my life too..... but, with what they taught me (sleek, sly, sleezy) I understand their system and their products and find a mega client is like giving me ice cream and candy. I love helping Mega clients especially when I show them their policy where it says 100% of covered expenses and the covered expenses are only up to $7000. Hahahah. So many Mega agents don't have the foggiest idea of what they are doing to a client. Anyone wan to go golfing? I'd love to but it's snowing outside.

I just replaced another Mega policy the other day where the client said, "I kind of had a bad feeling while the Mega Rep was there."

My client also said that the Mega agent gal said quote, "Your premiums will NOT go up until you hit 65, they will only go up if you use the plan."

OMFG!! I told her to report her to the DOI! This is what PISSES ME OFF! Yes it's a bad product, but intentionally lying to someone, that deserves the lethal injection!! Don't use it, then it's a good plan! LOL!

Would you turn this agent in if you ran across this?

Jenananda said:
I started as a NASE/Mega agent and resigned before writing a policy.
Jenananda said:
John, It was 6 months of my life too.....

are you sure you want to be an insurance agent.....6 months and not one policy write.....

K-Dub said:
I just replaced another Mega policy the other day where the client said, "I kind of had a bad feeling while the Mega Rep was there."

My client also said that the Mega agent gal said quote, "Your premiums will NOT go up until you hit 65, they will only go up if you use the plan."

OMFG!! I told her to report her to the DOI! This is what PISSES ME OFF! Yes it's a bad product, but intentionally lying to someone, that deserves the lethal injection!! Don't use it, then it's a good plan! LOL!

Would you turn this agent in if you ran across this?

No, here is what I would do first. Find out the name of the agent and his or her number and personally CALL!!!!!. He might be a newbie and "not" know what he is saying is incorrect and misleading. However, if he is an old-timer (longer than 6 months), then I would explicate my @@$#$#@ feelings :)

-J.R.

Latest posts

Back