Missouri votes "No" to federal madate to buy Health Insurance

medx

Guru
100+ Post Club
Texas
Missouri voters overwhelmingly rejected federal mandate to purchase health insurance...

ST. LOUIS
Missouri voters on Tuesday overwhelmingly rejected a federal mandate to purchase health insurance, rebuking President Barack Obama's administration and giving Republicans their first political victory in a national campaign to overturn the controversial health care law passed by Congress in March.
"The citizens of the Show-Me State don't want Washington involved in their health care decisions," said Sen. Jane Cunningham, R-Chesterfield, one of the sponsors of the legislation that put Proposition C on the August ballot. She credited a grass-roots campaign involving Tea Party and patriot groups with building support for the anti-Washington proposition.
With most of the vote counted, Proposition C was winning by a ratio of nearly 3 to 1. The measure, which seeks to exempt Missouri from the insurance mandate in the new health care law, includes a provision that would change how insurance companies that go out of business in Missouri liquidate their assets.
"I've never seen anything like it," Cunningham said at a campaign gathering at a private home in Town and Country. "Citizens wanted their voices to be heard."
About 30 Proposition C supporters whooped it up loudly at 9 p.m. when the returns flashed on the television showing the measure passing with more than 70 percent of the vote.
"It's the vote heard 'round the world," said Dwight Janson, 53, from Glendale, clad in an American flag-patterned shirt. Janson said he went to one of the first Tea Party gatherings last year and hopped on the Proposition C bandwagon because he wanted to make a difference.
"I was tired of sitting on the sidelines bouncing my gums," he said.
Missouri was the first of four states to seek to opt out of the insurance purchase mandate portion of the health care law that had been pushed by Obama. And while many legal scholars question whether the vote will be binding, the overwhelming approval gives the national GOP momentum as Arizona, Florida and Oklahoma hold similar votes during midterm elections in November.

Prop C passes overwhelmingly

Last edited:
As a consumer I do not agree with the mandatory, fines associated with HCR, but as a health agent for the past 14 years I have had prospects tell me, well Mr. Agent I have a couple million in stocks, bank, etc and I don't need health insurance. Even after you draw it out on paper they don't buy, but they are some of the same people who go to the er for a stomach ache and don't pay the bill. So I really have mixed feelings about this.

I also have mixed feelings-I got dropped a few yrs ago by the company i was insured by 2 days before the baby was born-20k later...and I sell health coverage...I spent a yr last yr in England wondering what was diff with the coverage out there than here...and I dunno...all I can say is if at the time I hadnt had Social Medicine, my son wouldnt be alive today, yet at the same time..America may not work with this new system-its just too different out here..its more profit Driven here..we do need regulations..but the American Government already gives us a list of rules on which children we can admit to the Public System we are already paying for if they don't have this or that immunization-and really, it sucks-because as much as we need it, Im afraid the American Gov would drive the country bankrupt with "their" changes-its not the peoples choice..its the govt;s choice..etc..Anyways-further more-the fact that each state can make its own decision-makes it more like the Dis-United States of America..rather than the "United"...blah blah...

CA make medical pot legal. Research how the federal government has reacted to that.

The Administration has said they wouldn't enforce the law...Its kinda like how they are selectivly enforcing Illegal Immigration/Undocument Citizents/Guest Workers or what ever cr*p name they want to call it...They turn a blind eye to so called Sacutary states & cities.

Latest posts

Back