Need to Beat Golden Rule HSA 100

halis

Expert
I am in MO. Client is 56 female, good height/weight, no health problems, no meds, also has 21 year old male on policy, good height weight, no health problems.

Right now she has an HSA with Golden Rule, 100% coinsurance, $3800 deductible, 3 mil lifetime max and is paying about $250/month.

I can use World, Assurant and soon American Community, how can I offer them a better value than what they currently have?

I'm not sure of the rates in your area, but in my area, the best value I could provide them would be to say, "I would love to help you out and provide you with a better health insurance coverage, however, your previous agent did a great job and found you the best coverage available for your situation."

I am sorry correction, it is not the HSA 100 it is the HSA Saver with Golden Rule. If that were the price for the HSA 100 it would sell like crack.

Last edited:
So, what is the clients issue? What concerns does SHE have?

Are you basing value on price? On coverage? Lifetime max divided by annual premium? Truth is, there is no answer to the question until you know what the clients concerns are, then you have an answer to the issue without asking.

She might want a lower deductible (find out why), she might want to make lower payments, she might want a copay at dollar one.

I'm guessing, but I assume you are trying to sell price alone. You will have a hard time with this approach. Price is always important, its also the first thing the client will ask about, but it amazingly is rarely the decision factor. If it was, we'd all drive Yugo's (or some other very inexpensive car that might still be made).

Dan

The HSA Saver plan in Georgia is...well, I don't sell it. Have a look at your plan details to make sure that the stuff I'm telling you is accurate for your state, then point them out to her:

- The HSA Saver has a 14 day window on diagnostics. Outpatient diagnostics are only covered expenses if performed within 14 days before or after surgery or confinement. Check out the fifth bullet point here: Top Five Questions For Your Health Insurance Agent | Georgia Insurance Options

2. Doctor's office visits are not covered expenses with the HSA saver plan, period.

3. Better hope you're admitted to the hospital if you go to the ER. Otherwise, you're limited to $250/person/year in benefits for ER visits.

4. There is no prescription drug coverage, period.

5. There is no adult preventative care coverage, period.

After pointing all of that out, she'll likely be more open to looking at other options that provide more comprehensive coverage.

The HSA Saver plan in Georgia is...well, I don't sell it. Have a look at your plan details to make sure that the stuff I'm telling you is accurate for your state, then point them out to her:

- The HSA Saver has a 14 day window on diagnostics. Outpatient diagnostics are only covered expenses if performed within 14 days before or after surgery or confinement. Check out the fifth bullet point here: Top Five Questions For Your Health Insurance Agent | Georgia Insurance Options

2. Doctor's office visits are not covered expenses with the HSA saver plan, period.

3. Better hope you're admitted to the hospital if you go to the ER. Otherwise, you're limited to $250/person/year in benefits for ER visits.

4. There is no prescription drug coverage, period.

5. There is no adult preventative care coverage, period.

After pointing all of that out, she'll likely be more open to looking at other options that provide more comprehensive coverage.

Does it actually cover anything? :err:

Should not be that tough to sell against unless $250/month is her absolute max budget.

souldeux,

Thank you, that's what I was looking for. I am new to health and she doesn't really know much about her policy except that it isn't that great, but it's cheap.

I just needed someone to point out the lack of coverage in the policy, I should have made that more clear. Thanks again.

Does it actually cover anything? :err:

Should not be that tough to sell against unless $250/month is her absolute max budget.

Meet your deductible and you can have all the mammograms you want.

On Thursdays.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
souldeux,

Thank you, that's what I was looking for. I am new to health and she doesn't really know much about her policy except that it isn't that great, but it's cheap.

I just needed someone to point out the lack of coverage in the policy, I should have made that more clear. Thanks again.

Double post, sorry, I am not good at computer.

No problem! I'm pasting my "cheat sheet" for UHC and Assurant below. The information is useful for Georgia, but please verify it in your state before relying on it. I'm not contracted with American Community, and I haven't made my cheat sheet for World yet. This just points out the highlights and lowlights of the plans I have access to in Georgia, not any real meat and potato stuff.

ASSURANT HEALTH:
  • OneDeductible PPO – health savings qualified, no copay, one ded for everyone on plan (simplified for family coverage)
  • CoreMed – up to 4 office visit copays, facility fee optional, lower cost
  • MaxPlan – most coverage, unlimited office visit copays
  • RightStart – Bad annual caps on outpatient, cancer outpatient, annual services, and Rx; no maternity
  • SaveRight – RightStart with health savings account and caps removed; maternity coverage not available
Golden Rule
  • Co-pay Select – 80/20 to 10k OOP
  • Co-pay Saver – 80/20 to 15k OOP, 14 day window for diagnostics, 2 office visits/year cap – even worse
  • HSA 100 – standard 100% after deductible
  • HSA Saver – 100% after deductible, 14 day window on diagnostics, no office visit coverage, abysmal ER coverage, no drug coverage
  • Plan100 (HDHP) – acts just like HSA100 but not eligible, also additional $100 copay on top of deductible for ER visits that don't result in admission for illness, prescription drug card ($20 generic $50 name brand $250 deductible)
  • Plan80 (HDHP) – 80/20 to $15k
  • Plan80 Saver (HDHP) – 80/20 to $15k, 14 day window for diagnostics, additional $500 ER copay for non-admitted illnesses, no drug coverage, no preventative care, unfathomably bad
    • Note – HSA100 and Plan100 appear to be the only decent plans offered by GR
    • Saver plans offer crap coverage
    • HSA has awesome hospital indemnity rider
Double check with your client to see if her HSA Saver has the hospital indemnity rider, too. If she does, then she has slightly better hospital coverage than the earlier rundown of benefits would indicate.

Last edited:
Back