Possible to Have RX Coverage Without Major Medical Coverage?

TristanTLC

Guru
100+ Post Club
Ok so here's the question for you health experts. Is it possible for someone to purchase a stand alone prescription coverage? And, No, I do not mean a Part D. I mean Major Medical Prescription coverage without the Major Medical.

I have a client that has a medical plan through work, but she has a 750 deductible for RX, and a 30% coinsurance after that. She only pays $35/month for Major Medical at work, (Yes, it really is Major Medical and not a discount plan - I checked) so she does not want to give it up; but she wants better prescription coverage that this plan does not provide.

Any ideas?

The client is located in NC.

I don't know of any fully insured "stand alone" prescription drug plans.
This client wants to buy insurance to cover the $750 deductible?
If there was such a product, the cost would probably be more than $750/yr.

I don't know of any fully insured "stand alone" prescription drug plans.
This client wants to buy insurance to cover the $750 deductible?
If there was such a product, the cost would probably be more than $750/yr.

This is absolutely correct. To my knowledge, there are not any stand alone RX policies available in NC. And if there were, the premium would almost definitely exceed the $750 deductible.

The next thing to wonder about -if she's concerned with hitting the deductible and getting into Coins - would she even qualify for a plan if it existed?

I agree, this type of policy would fit into the category shared by individual dental insurance policies and optional maternity insurance policies.

Adverse selection = high premiums and lousy policies.

There are stand alone RX programs available, but usually not worth it because they are tied into association type of offerings. As others have said, what this person is trying to insure against ($750+30%) is not worth doing. I live in the Charlotte area and just about every major outlet (Walmart, Harris Teeter, drug chains, etc.) all offer a wide variety of drugs with low copays, whether they have insurance or not.

My gosh, she only pays $35 a month for major medical and she's complaining about an rx deductible and a 30% co-pay???

She should be counting her blessings with this plan if it's truly MM.

Back