Pre-existing Condition, Unable to Afford COBRA...options??

I have a family member that is 34 years old, diagnosed with fibromyalgia. Perfect heath otherwise, but the chronic pain has made it impossible for her to work in her previous career. Since then she has been unable to get disability and has been let go from her previous position after a year, so now her insurance is gone. She is eligible for COBRA, but cannot afford the premium. (She is still within the 60 days...so I continue to try to encourage her to find the money to keep benefits from lapsing) She is not able to work currently, so getting on an ER funded health plan is not an option currently. Due to her pre-existing condition, she cannot get individual insurance. Of course, she is being hawked by all the guaranteed issue/idemnity/mini-med plans since she filled out some quote forms online. I don't think this is her best option but I am at a loss as to what her other options are. Any help would be much appreciated.

If she can't afford COBRA and is unable to work, the only option I can think of is to apply for state Medicaid. I hope she recovers soon.

Hey thats a pretty cool link and I am sure we can't assist in selling it (no comp anyway) but I had a question. I can't find anything about Georgia on there, just NoVa and DC. Am I missing something?

NEVERMIND, think I found it. Just can't find the community partners who would have to approve the app. Just a DC area listing.

Last edited by a moderator:
I only learned about it a week ago. Someone called wanting a subsidized plan to replace the Bridge. First I ever heard of Bridge.

He could not afford even $100/mo and the lowest price I was coming up with was H1 Value for $140. Out of his price range so he moved on to something else or did nothing.

I don't like working for free but this is a nice "gift" that doesn't take any of my time. Who knows? I might get some referrals out of this.

As for the OP, I am not in my office and don't know if KP will accept her or not but worth a try.

I don't like working for free but this is a nice "gift" that doesn't take any of my time. Who knows? I might get some referrals out of this.

Same here, sounds like a low cost alternative to PCIP. Just from my quick look, it seems like the Bridge community types that would have to approve the app are Family and Children Service people, social workers, Dept of Human Services, etc. Also, here are the income level requirements on this page:

Kaiser Permanente

Not sure how they track whehter your income changes over that time period. Most likely the people who qualify are unable to work anyway. There are asset limitations was as well.

Again, there doesn't seem to be a list of community organizers posted for Georgia, but it does list this service area, so it probably would have to be a phone call to KP to find out who those people are.

Thanks for that link. FYI-The phone number on the website is a non-working number. I called around a bunch and finally got a contact number in Atlanta 404-955-8603 and left a message.

Tell them to change the phone on the site. Hope this works out. Fibromyalgia can be impossible to insure.

Back