Prescription Costs

I have had a couple of prospects that don't currently have prescription benefits, one had Assurants plan that only pays 50% of name brand. I want to start showing people a list of costly medications to show how expensive prescription costs can be but I'm having a hard time finding anything on the internet.

Is there a place out there that has such a list? Are any of you using this technique to show your clients?

Thanks

If you want to do some research, there is a lot of information here.

Cancer meds are usually the most expensive, but other illness that can be costly include RA, cardiac, neuro-transmitter diseases like MS & ALS.

Enbrel (RA and some forms of psoriasis) is $1500/mo. Betaseron (MS) is $2000/month.

Some psych meds can also be expensive. Abilify is $450/month.

Here are some posts we have done at InsureBlog on medication

InsureBlog: $24k Meds

InsureBlog: $1M Isn't What it Used To Be

InsureBlog: What Price Cancer?

InsureBlog: The Cost of Care

If you want to do some research, there is a lot of information here.

Cancer meds are usually the most expensive, but other illness that can be costly include RA, cardiac, neuro-transmitter diseases like MS & ALS.

Enbrel (RA and some forms of psoriasis) is $1500/mo. Betaseron (MS) is $2000/month.

Some psych meds can also be expensive. Abilify is $450/month.

Here are some posts we have done at InsureBlog on medication

InsureBlog: $24k Meds

InsureBlog: $1M Isn't What it Used To Be

InsureBlog: What Price Cancer?

InsureBlog: The Cost of Care

Thank you all:biggrin:

Thank you all:biggrin:

Have you client call me. My father's chemo cost $8k a week (ish). After he died, we got hit by medical bills well over $100k, because the agent that sold my family their policy didn't think drug coverage was all that important. Here's a shock -- he wasn't there to help us when we lost our house.

That was before I was licensed. And I've never had a client listen to my story and not buy a plan with comprehensive prescription coverage.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
After reading that last post and realizing how depressing it was, I thought I'd add a link to a happy cat: http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o119/EuterpeJones/Fun_Cat_Caturday3.jpg?t=1235429923

Last edited:
My father's chemo cost $8k a week (ish). After he died, we got hit by medical bills well over $100k, because the agent that sold my family their policy didn't think drug coverage was all that important. Here's a shock -- he wasn't there to help us when we lost our house.

That was before I was licensed. And I've never had a client listen to my story and not buy a plan with comprehensive prescription coverage.

I cried because I had no shoes until I met a man who had no feet . . .

Monday 9-21-2015

These prescription price increases are mind-blowing...

Story: How an obscure drug’s 4,000% price increase might finally spur action on soaring health-care costs - The Washington Post

Presidential candidate Hillary Diane Rodham Clinton will introduce a proposal tomorrow that places a cap on prescription drug prices..and allows citizens to purchase their medications in other countries.

Basics of Her Plan: Hillary Clinton unveils plan to lower prescription drug costs

Hillary's Tweet Spooks Stocks: Hillary Clinton tweet crushes biotech stocks - Sep. 21, 2015

No wonder so many health insurers will be watering down their Prescription benefits for 2016.
ac

The Congressional Budget Office (CBO) estimates that Part D spending will total $76 billion in 2015, representing 14% of total Medicare spending in 2015

Financing for Part D comes from general revenues (73%), beneficiary premiums (14%), and state contributions (13%).6 The monthly premium paid by enrollees is set to cover 25.5% of the cost of standard drug coverage. Medicare subsidizes the remaining 74.5%

The Medicare Prescription Drug Benefit Fact Sheet | The Henry J. Kaiser Family Foundation

Back