Refund/Overpayment WageWorks Healthcare Card

jaxstarke99

When I signed up for health insurance at work we were offered the opportunity to get a health screening and receive a $1000 health care debit card through WageWorks to use towards deductibles, copays, prescriptions, certain OTC medicines, certain medical accessories etc. I used mine for some X-rays I had done on my shoulder and chest. It was a little over $400. Yesterday the hospital sent me a refund check for the amount I charged on that card. I'm pretty sure that money isn't mine. Should I deposit that check and mail WageWorks another check for that amount or just keep it and pretend I don't know anything? Lol. Thanks.

You stated that you signed up for health insurance through your employer. If the x-rays were taken when your health insurance was in force, it could be that the insurance carrier covered the x-rays in full.

I suggest calling the billing department of the facility that did the x-rays and ask why you received a reimbursement check. If the cost was covered by your insurance carrier, WageWorks will want to be reimbursed or it could be deemed an ineligible expense. You can check your WageWorks account and see if that payment is flagged for any reason as well.

Hope that helps!

Thanks. I contacted WageWorks and they asked me to check my insurance company's explanation of benefits and sure enough they covered the whole thing so I will be mailing a check to WageWorks for the amount of the refund/overpayment. I found out after that X-Ray that I have arthritis in both shoulders so that money will come in handy for my subsequent doctor's visits.

I'm glad you found the answer! Keep in mind that you may be eligible for FMLA, protected time off work for health reasons for yourself or a family member, once you've been there long enough...usually one year.

I didn't read my employee manual well enough when I was hired and found out way later than necessary. Read it and clarify anything unclear with HR.

If they offer life insurance that you can take with you if you are no longer employed there, seriously consider it! If they offer long term disability, take the buy-up option if available.

Finally, if you have short term disability benefits and have to use it, make sure you send a W2 to the disability carrier right away and claim more exemptions, or they may withhold 25 percent for federal taxes.

I hope that's helpful
Sks

Back