Sebelius Gives States Green Like to Cut Medicaid Benefits

Crabcake Johnny

Guru
5000 Post Club
Maryland
In further proof that you can't give people something for nothing, states got the green light to start eliminating certain Medicaid benefits such as RX, dental and speech therapy.

This is after certain states, such as Texas, have threatened to end Medicaid...which is an optional program for states.

Of course, if states and the federal government are looking to really save money, they should require random drug testing for anyone on a social program.

Sebelius Gives Green Light to States to Cut Medicaid Benefits | FDL News Desk

"Modifying Benefits. While some benefits, such as hospital and physician services, are required to be provided by State Medicaid programs, many services, such as prescription drugs, dental services, and speech therapy, are optional. States can generally change optional benefits or limit their amount, duration or scope through an amendment to their State plan, provided that each service remains sufficient to reasonably achieve its purpose. In addition, States may add or increase cost sharing for services within limits (see attachment for details). Some States have opted for more basic benefit packages for higher-income enrollees (e.g., Wisconsin provides benefits equivalent to the largest commercial plan offered in the State plus mental health and substance disorder coverage for pregnant women with income between 200 and 250 percent of poverty). A number of States charge beneficiaries $20 for non-urgent emergency room visits or use cost sharing for prescription drugs to steer individuals toward generics or preferred brand-name drugs. To the extent States scale back low-value benefits or add fair cost sharing that lowers inappropriate use of care, savings can be generated."

Also relevant:

http://www.freep.com/article/201102...cutoff-battle-brewing-feel-they-wrote-me-off-

Last edited:
I heard Utah has a pilot program where medicaid people have to complete 100 hours of community service to stay on the plan.

They need to turn medicaid into a HMO.

I got a great laugh off that one!
So when does she give us the green light to cold call for MA's?

I got a great laugh off that one!
So when does she give us the green light to cold call for MA's?

NEVER - you can't even warm call. See the latest compliance email from Humana:

Permission for Future Contact

CMS views that all permission for contact may not be treated as open-ended permission for future contact. Based on the CMS Medicare Improvements for Patients and Providers Act (MIPPA) guidance,
future permission for contact should be considered short term and event specific.

Agents are advised to keep detailed records regarding prospects who have given permission to be contacted. CMS requires that all documentation pertaining to MIPPA be maintained for a minimum of 10 years. Documents are often requested during CMS complaint investigations.

To assist agents in their record keeping, Humana is making available the attached Future Request to Contact Form. The form can be ordered along with other sales material by calling the Agent Support Unit. Agents are not required to use the Humana form, but must have some method of recording permission to be contacted

For purposes of the upcoming 2012 Annual Election Period (AEP), the term of future contact should be considered to begin
October 1, 2011 and end December 7, 2011.

Future Request Contact Form??? In 10 years I may just not answer the door if CMS comes knocking.

Back