Selling outside of your resident state

JRoot

Guru
100+ Post Club
I noticed a lot of you guys sell in a few states. Why not just concentrate on your own state? Am I missing something?

I'm in CA and I guess it would be nice to sell in a state that advanced commissions, but when I'm telemarketing and advertising, I'd rather have it concentrated within a smaller defined area. Also, I feel like I finally have a grip on each carrier, their plans and what they will issue and I'm sure it's different in each state. It would be a step back to try and figure out another state.

Just curious what made you sell outside your resident state?

I noticed a lot of you guys sell in a few states. Why not just concentrate on your own state? Am I missing something?

I'm in CA and I guess it would be nice to sell in a state that advanced commissions, but when I'm telemarketing and advertising, I'd rather have it concentrated within a smaller defined area. Also, I feel like I finally have a grip on each carrier, their plans and what they will issue and I'm sure it's different in each state. It would be a step back to try and figure out another state.

Just curious what made you sell outside your resident state?

I sell in 3-states but focus mainly in one. I live in Indiana but sell mainly in Kentucky. I'm licensed also in Tennessee.

I agree with you. Pick one state and do it well is a better plan. I have to get myself and my corporation appointed in all of them. I have to pay non-res fees in them for each carrier. I have to carry multiple forms for each carrier. So far I keep 12 briefcases in my trunk.

My reason is, I live right on the state line of Indiana and Kentucky. I keep Tennessee just because I have a lot of personal contacts in Tennessee who usually call me if they need insurance or run into someone who does.

80% (used to be 96%) of my business is from Ohio and the balance from Pa. I'll skip the occasional policy from NC or In. Focusing on your own state works best unless you have a snazzy website, a good search engine and can buy good out-of-state leads.

If I was in California, I doubt I would venture out of the state either.

Yea, not going to run out of prospects here for sure, can't even make it out of my county telemarketing wise.

I was also thinking that with all the single payor system talk in CA, it might be good to diversify into another state just in case...but I'm overthinking it. Thanks for the feedback...

Back