State's Health Insurance Law Slow to Draw Interest

mikelnix

Expert
A new state law aimed at fueling more competition in the health insurance industry has so far not generated the results some had expected. Lawmakers passed a measure allowing Georgians to buy health insurance plans approved by other states. It was envisioned by supporters as a path to lower prices and increased choices.
Any thoughts???

It means nothing. The one thing they did that will have an impact is child only plans beginning in 2013.

Watch for child rates to go sky high which will also affect family plans.

I always wondered why many politicians over the past couple of years continually insist that allowing people to buy insurance from a company in another state is beneficial.

It seems to me that the main determiner of price is the applicant's home zip code. Perhaps some states have more protections than others. That might be what the politicians are talking about.
-ac

The folks in GI states think they should be able to buy from a non-GI state. Example, someone in NY thinks they should buy an OH policy and save money.

The OH policy will have to be adjusted to reflect network discounts (or lack thereof) plus will have to be otherwise compliant with any other policy issued in NY.

It's smoke n mirror politics. First, what insurance company would create a new product with Obamacare/supreme court up in the air. Plus, it takes up to a year to create a new plan. Next, it's all about zip code/cost of care that determines premium. If you don't have a network for clients to use, the plan aint worth cr*p. They should just get rid of state mandates, or have common mandates across all states, and then you'd see more interest.

rid of state mandates

This is the simplest suggestion, and one I have advocated for some time. Allow carriers to file a "plan B" policy exclusive of all state mandates and give the consumer a choice.

Of course with Obamneycrap still in play, no one is doing anything new.

This is the simplest suggestion, and one I have advocated for some time. Allow carriers to file a "plan B" policy exclusive of all state mandates and give the consumer a choice.

Of course with Obamneycrap still in play, no one is doing anything new.

It is hard to play "father knows best" if you let everybody get around your mandates.

Latest posts

Back