Wellmark to Suspend New Sales of Child-Only Policies

davidleekline

Super Genius
100+ Post Club
Iowa
Wellmark Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Iowa is immediately suspending new sales of Individual child-only policies. According to them: “The decision to suspend sales of new child-only policies was made only after careful consideration of new regulations and their impact on Wellmark’s current membership.”

Coventry made the same decision.

Are there other carriers still offering child-only coverage?

Wellmark Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Iowa is immediately suspending new sales of Individual child-only policies. According to them: “The decision to suspend sales of new child-only policies was made only after careful consideration of new regulations and their impact on Wellmark’s current membership.”

One by one......
Medicare News

Last edited:
Does anyone know about Assurance or UHC/Goldenrule?

I am not familiar with Assurance, but Time (AKA Assurant) pulled the plug on child only in the spring.

Same time as Golden Rule/UHC/United HealthOne

Anyone left ?

HHS Shebullshits said PCIP will enter that market in 2011. Since PCIP will take an uninsured (6 months+), sick child now I assume she means they will waive the 6 month no insurance rule.

So if they do waive it for kids, do you think the parent of a 19 year old will cry foul?

This should be interesting.

Anyone left ?

Unless a local BCBS plan in your area does, then it appears there are no major health insurance carriers offer it.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
HHS Shebullshits said PCIP will enter that market in 2011. Since PCIP will take an uninsured (6 months+), sick child now I assume she means they will waive the 6 month no insurance rule.

So if they do waive it for kids, do you think the parent of a 19 year old will cry foul?

This should be interesting.

I've heard nothing about giving someone under 18 a pass on the 6 month uninsured rule. Where did you pick up on that?

There is a hole if someone U19 does not have one of the auto qualifying medical conditions to get into a PCIP, since there is no way to get rejected by a carrier that is not accepting an application

Last edited:
I've heard nothing about giving someone under 18 a pass on the 6 month uninsured rule.

Neither have I.

Go back & read my post again.

And you might also want to read the WSJ, all the way to the bottom.

HHS also carved out a new category of premiums for children with pre-existing conditions.

Back