What to do for someone uninsurable in Georgia?

tama2112

Hello,
I am trying to get a client covered in Georgia. I've submitted apps to 3 carriers (Assurant, BCBS & Aetna) and all declined her. (She takes medication for High Blood Pressure, Diabetes & High Cholesterol).

Are there any other options? (Besides group coverage) Is there a Risk Pool in Georgia for people like her?

Thanks!

GA does not have a risk pool. Once COBRA expires she can go on enhanced conversion or in the assignment system. Her best bet is to contact the GA DOI for placement. There is nothing you can do for her and you may have already messed up her chances of the DOI helping.

tama2112

You might try calling the carrier before actually submitting an app to see how they would handle the pre-existing conditions. It's kind of a disservice to the client to to put them through underwriting without first talking to the underwriters. With 3 declines she probably wouldn't be touched with a 10 foot pole now by any reputable carrier.

Re: tama2112

insuremojo said:
With 3 declines she probably wouldn't be touched with a 10 foot pole now by any reputable carrier.

thats BS....I had a client go through 5 apps before....4 declines and one issue.....each co's underwriting is different...but this case....I would have put all three in at once which I am sure you did and told the client chance's are slim....

thats BS....I had a client go through 5 apps before....4 declines and one issue.....each co's underwriting is different

Sti,

Yes, each carriers underwriting is different. But here in Georgia, the major players almost won't even look at a case if the person has recently been declined. And with the combination of ailments this person has, it's not likely that she would get covered by any of the major players. For an underwriter to look at a case that has been declined, you have to prove to them that the decline was based on bad information.

A phone call to the underwriters prior to submission of the case would have been the best thing for this agent to do. It would have saved both of them a lot of time.

sman said:
thats BS....I had a client go through 5 apps before....4 declines and one issue.....each co's underwriting is different

Sti,

Yes, each carriers underwriting is different. But here in Georgia, the major players almost won't even look at a case if the person has recently been declined.

and who told you that....but with the trio layed down in this thread would have to advise the outlook would not be good...had a lead this week that had a heart mummer,high blood pres. and was a smoker and declined by mega life....had to tell them if mega won't take no one will....but you might try UA...

and who told you that

Uhhhhhh...the major players did. Just speaking from my own experience here in Georgia. If you have some personal experience here in Georgia that is different I'd love to hear about it.

I have not had that experience. This year alone I have placed at least 2 cases with GR that were turned down by other carriers. I have also written business with carriers after it was turned down by KP or BX.

Granted, someone that shotguns their app all over the place is likely to get nowhere. I rarely submit more than one app on a client. Lots of due diligence and pre-screen underwriting saves the headache, time & expense of multiple apps.

I'd rather call beforehand and verify how the insurance company will handle any pre-existing conditions...doesn't make sense (to me anyways) to shoot applications "blind". The only time I'll do that is if the client is healthy.

Here in California if you talk to the underwriters if you're declined you must wait 6 months (that I know of...BC, BS, Nationwide, Aetna..) to reapply with the same company. I'd love to hear if anybody has had any different experiences in Cali!

Of course I am talking about the big dogs of health insurance.

Back