Will ACA Carriers Treat Agents Fairly

wingman

Expert
I'm trying to get an answer from my carriers on a commission question w/o any success to date.
Many of the 2014 ACA sales made during the year are getting rate increases or for some other reason the clients need to make a change in their best interest effective 1/1/2015.
Assuming the case was only on the books for X months in 2014, how do you think the carrier will commission the new case. Will it be treated as an inhouse rewrite and only afforded renewal commissions or will the new 2015 case be eligible for a new 12 months 1st yr commission. Or, will the new case be credited with (12-X) months at 1st yr and the remainder at renewals.
This issue obviously only pertains to inhouse rewrites.
The two carriers in particular I'm wanting to know about are Humana & Aetna/Coventry. This concern could be extrapolated to any other carrier not paying level comp all years.
Thanks for any feedback.

Wingman

All 2014 plans expire 12/31 and must be rewritten. If the policy is subsidized, and you aren't pro-active, good chance of losing the case on "renewal".

If not to the carrier, to any of the hc.gov "assister's" that have access to data on anyone that registered with hc.gov whether they bought a plan or not. Those assister's will be calling to let people know there are new plans with lower rates.

The carriers are also contacting policyholders to let them know of new plans and rates. They believe by doing so they are protecting "their" block.

You can take that to the bank.

Off-exchange business is a little more secure from sniping than exchange written business.

With navigator's, carrier call centers and some with retail store fronts I don't believe they will need us around in a year or two. Yes, some still need to speak to a local agent but with the internet, social media and the govt most will shop elsewhere.

Somarco is correct.

Some of us do not receive commission on any re enrolls regardless if we're proactive. Heck we haven't even been told commission's.

And some of us think that we will continue to provide a service to people who are overwhelmed with the choices and just don't get health insurance.

At least that's what 3 people told me today. The other 8 were renewals.

Feel free to run away. More people for me! ;)

My Humana rep has said that for business written that started other than Jan 1 last year commissions should be paid calendar year. Humana also went ahead and adjusted the comp rates in my state for 2015 business though, so that will be fun sorting out. :/

With navigator's, carrier call centers and some with retail store fronts I don't believe they will need us around in a year or two. Yes, some still need to speak to a local agent but with the internet, social media and the govt most will shop elsewhere.

Somarco is correct.

Some of us do not receive commission on any re enrolls regardless if we're proactive. Heck we haven't even been told commission's.

It's unfortunate that you exclusively represent the worst insurer, by far, in the entire country, you really deserve better than that. Every other company offering plans in Florida has published their comp plans and I've already been paid the full January commission for Exchange plans that have been approved (including subsidized portion) by Assurant.

It would be a mistake for carriers to devalue the agent in the Individual Enrollment process. The FFM is reporting enrollment numbers as a success statistic, yet they aren't protecting the entity that is most responsible for the success. Navigators may be able to enroll individuals, but they don't know the local market like an agent would. They don't know the best plans, the best value, the best carriers, and the options that your individual will get the most value from. I truly hope that agents get the recognition and help they need to work efficiently and are compensated fairly.

Luke Mattson
Technical Liaison
InsxCloud

Our state's BCBS used the "2-month at a time" paper billing system for pre-2014 plans. Clients who have converted to a 2015 plan with BCBS are still getting billed for December/January. Some are simply not paying it, and are/will be in the grace period for some portion of December. No 2015 bills have been generated yet for any of them.

Still no word on what 2015 commissions are with this, or state's largest carrier. Very strange.
ac

Back