Aetna Rate Increase in CA Found to Be Unreasonable

Crabcake Johnny

Guru
5000 Post Club
Maryland
NEWS RELEASE

AETNA HEALTH INSURANCE RATE INCREASES FOR

SMALL EMPLOYERS ARE UNREASONABLE

This is the first formal finding of “unreasonable” by the Department of Insurance for health insurance rate increases under the new law, as Aetna and other health insurers lowered or dropped proposed rate increases in 2011 and 2012 at the request of the Commissioner.

Insurance Commissioner Dave Jones announced today that the Department of Insurance has determined Aetna’s most recent quarterly health insurance rate increase for small employers to be unreasonable.

Commissioner Jones requested that Aetna withdraw its April 1 health insurance rate increases for small employers after finding the proposed rates unreasonable. The Commissioner does not have the authority to reject excessive health insurance rate increases. Despite the request from the Department, Aetna has decided to implement the 1.8 percent average rate increases, which total an average 8 percent increase annually (with some receiving up to a 21.4 percent annual increase) and an average 30.3 percent increase over 24 months for small employers with Aetna's PPO health insurance policies. Aetna files rate increases quarterly on its small employer policies.

After a thorough review of Aetna's rate filing, the Department's actuaries found that Aetna made projections about medical cost increases that were not supported by Aetna's actual claims experience. The Department also determined that the Aetna subsidiary selling health insurance in California made a 27.7 percent profit in 2011, paid $1.7 billion in dividends to its parent company, is increasing rates in excess of the U.S. Bureau of Labor's medical cost inflation index, and with this most recent increase, Aetna is hitting its California small employer customers with an average increase of 30.3 percent over the last 24 months.

More details on the Department’s findings and Aetna’s rate filing are available to the public.

"I am disappointed that Aetna has decided to reject my request to refrain from its latest health insurance rate increases on small employers, which are unreasonable and not justified by the company’s claims experience. Small employers are struggling in this economy and should not be hit with a 30 percent increase in just 24 months for health insurance for their employees," said Insurance Commissioner Dave Jones. "Like the recent unsustainable rate increases imposed by other health insurers on Californians, Aetna's rate increase proves again that we need to close the loophole in California law which denies the Insurance Commissioner the authority to reject excessive health insurance rate hikes."

Commissioner Jones authored three bills to give the Insurance Commissioner the authority to reject excessive health insurance rate hikes when he served in the State Assembly and as Insurance Commissioner has continued to fight to obtain this authority to protect California consumers and businesses by sponsoring legislation, Assembly Bill 52, which is in the State Senate.

From what California relatives tell me, the moronic government officials out there tax and fee almost everything that can be purchased. They have a lot of nerve calling out AETNA for raising rates. At least insurance premiums are paying for benefits that tangible. I bet more than 20% of the taxes and fees collected (in all states) do NOT benefit the public in any way whatsoever.

Besides, groups who think they're paying too much in premiums are free and able to shop and place their employees with another insurer. The California Dept of Insurance people must not be aware of their own state laws. It's sounds like they're a power-hungry sadistic bunch...just like their big sister at Health and Human Services in D.C..
-ac

Only 4% of CA voters backed the best choice for commissioner.

I'm almost hoping my wife loses her job so we can sell this house and move to a "sane" state.

Rick

Of course it's reasonable, they've got a CEO to pay. But, it seems my commission was cut by 40%...... not so reasonable

Aetna CEO's 2011 Compensation $10.6M, Up 20% On Stock Awards
Last update: 4/9/2012 9:43:27 AM
By Joan E. Solsman Of DOW JONES NEWSWIRES NEW YORK (Dow Jones)--The value of Aetna Inc. (AET) Chairman and Chief Executive Mark T. Bertolini's total compensation rose 20% to $10.6 million last year largely because of greater stock awards, as well as more perks.
Bertolini's stock awards, his most valuable form of compensation, increased 25% to $7.3 million, according to a filing with the Securities and Exchange Commission. His salary and cash bonus also increased, up 6.7% to $1 million and up 5.5% to $2 million, respectively. TD Ameritrade

I'm glad to see that AETNA has decided to go ahead with its 8% small business rate increase in California.

States Roundup: Aetna Goes Ahead With Small Biz Coverage Hike - Kaiser Health News

It's good to finally find an insurer that doesn't cower and buckle under like a little wimp when the government shines the spotlight on them.

Aetna understands that the free-market will dictate the success or failure of their premium decisions. No help from government is wanted or needed.
-ac

I am all for government getting out of the business sector, but the one thing I found fascinating about this article is that the commissioner fact-checked their ass and looked up the rate of medical expenses.

I think when it comes to monopolies like the insurance companies, a little fact checking into reasons for the increase is agreeable.

Last edited:
I agree with this post.

When there are only a hand full of carriers who own their own networks then the public should know what equations are being used for premium increases.

On the group side I argue every month with carriers about rate increase being too high. Half of the time they agree and reduce the rate increase.

I am all against government getting out of the business sector, but the one thing I found fascinating about this article is that the commissioner fact-checked their ass and looked up the rate of medical expenses.

I think when it comes to monopolies like the insurance companies, a little fact checking into reasons for the increase is agreeable.

Back