Affordable Care Act Proposal is a Good Start, Independence Blue Cross Chief Says

Northeast Agent

Guru
1000 Post Club
Pennsylvania
Affordable Care Act proposal is a good start, Independence Blue Cross chief says

Hilferty and other insurance executives also would like Congress to amend the ACA to allow them to charge older consumers up to five times more than younger consumers, up from the current limit of three times. The goal is to attract more younger, healthier people to pay into the insurance pool by charging them less than insurers are allowed to now.

AARP called the proposal to allow insurers to charge up to five times more for older consumers an "age tax." A bill that would do that was introduced in the House of Representatives on Jan. 27.

An AARP study estimated that the change would raise average annual premiums for 60-year-olds by $3,200 and reduce them for 20-to-29-year-olds by $700.

Carriers always want what's best for them. They also make product that fits whatever the law requires. This is only an attempt to make the young and healthy generate revenue by keeping their premiums low. We have decided to pay for Healthcare with insurance. I maintain that all should have access. Proposals like this exclude 1 group or another. None of the plans proposed deal with the big problem of medical trend which has run at 8-10% per year even when inflation was 2-3% in the overall economy.

Repubs have no plan and are simply trying to avoid being held responsible.

All those foreign visitors, immigrants , underemployed and also the underground economy of people that get paid in cash will not be able to afford these premiums... I guess they will just show up at hospitals and emergency rooms just like they always have.. driving up the rates for all those that have insurance.

All those foreign visitors, immigrants , underemployed and also the underground economy of people that get paid in cash will not be able to afford these premiums... I guess they will just show up at hospitals and emergency rooms just like they always have.. driving up the rates for all those that have insurance.

I don't have a problem with the underground. The only way to eliminate it is to monitor evetyt completely. Every dollar earned is one not given in transfer payments. Anyone out of jail saves $50,000 over those in jail. I prefer the underground to those who rigged the system and made money on lending to people who couldn't repay. Then repackaged and sold the bad loans. That did more damage than those who scuffle and make a little cash in the underground.

Healthcare is an industry that operates within the system. Fix it for those who are also in the system. There are those who technically can afford insurance. Recent premiums have gotten so high that it is worth noting buying insurance. You have to deliver as much value as you take before anyone will buy your stuff. Manufacturing costs of ACA went up and those paying the full load are priced out.

I didn't buy at $20,600 and won't buy at $24,000 under new rules. I have money in an HSA and will have more because I'll actually save and invest what's not spent on premiums. I look at premiums saved as return for accepting risk. When risking, one has to be willing to lose. So be it. We operate under capitalism.

Six years and no plan. Pinche Trump.

Last edited:
Back