AFLAC and Obamacare

somarco

GA Medicare Expert
5000 Post Club
Atlanta
Interesting article in Benefits Selling on AFLAC

For the first half of the year, Aflac sales in Japan were up more than 50 percent.

We’re working with new product lines and the Japanese consumer seems as favorable (or more favorable) toward the Aflac brand and products than ever. Keep in mind: Every citizen of Japan has government-sponsored major medical. Over time the Japanese government has put in larger and larger co-pays to the point where it went from none to 10 percent, 20 percent, and now we’re at a 30 percent co-pay. So the need for Japanese people to have our type of products [is greater than ever].

We feel so strong about our position going into national health care [in the States]. Our experience in Japan has lead us to insure 25 percent of the population there.

the key is govt sponsored care in japan. I assume that means free. when its free then supplements are cool... however folks here are going to spend an arm and a leg to get the obamacare plan and those that are "govt spnsered" subsidized are that way for a reason... they are broke and cant afford a supplement... maybe in the future there will be a big market but at the moment I cant see it

Still not an AFLAC fan but I do believe there will be a market for supplemental coverage for those who will qualify for free insurance under Obamacare. Not so sure about those with little or no "subsidy"

somarco said:
Still not an AFLAC fan but I do believe there will be a market for supplemental coverage for those who will qualify for free insurance under Obamacare. Not so sure about those with little or no "subsidy"

I agree that the supplemental market will be more important and I also foresee these metal plans changing as time goes on if the subsidy ever exists I predict it will shrink and the government will change the metal plans so the rates after subsidy remain the same eventually leaving consumers on a larger and larger cost share.

I believe AFLAC will suffer in U S no way even using the section 125 cafeteria plans people will be willing to load up on AFLAC Obamacare will cover people but it will cost more and more. If John Amos had not been able to secure the Japan market in the 50s there would be no AFLAC today

I believe AFLAC will suffer in U S no way even using the section 125 cafeteria plans people will be willing to load up on AFLAC Obamacare will cover people but it will cost more and more. If John Amos had not been able to secure the Japan market in the 50s there would be no AFLAC today

Exactly.....Japan has always kept the US AFLAC afloat. At one time I believe Japan accounted for 80% of new sales.

Back