Agent-Broker 2016 Marketplace Certification Info.

Hopefully they make the credentialing process more difficult. Way too many fly by nighters this last round. I'm all for competition, but the level of incompetency reached new heights this year and that makes us all look bad.

And even the most incompetent licensed agent isn't as bad as some of the folks at the Marketplace. I can't tell you how many people I've talked to who were all screwed up because they enrolled via a phone call to the Marketplace. The rep at the Marketplace picked a plan for them without asking about physicians or medications. Then when the person goes to the doctor or to get a prescription filled, the doctor isn't in the network and their medication isn't covered.

If we are going to make the credentialing process more difficult (which I have no problem with), we need to also hold the navigators to a higher standard. If an agent did business the way some of these navigators do, the agent wouldn't be in business long and may even lose their license. Possibly an E&O claim as well.

And even the most incompetent licensed agent isn't as bad as some of the folks at the Marketplace. I can't tell you how many people I've talked to who were all screwed up because they enrolled via a phone call to the Marketplace. The rep at the Marketplace picked a plan for them without asking about physicians or medications. Then when the person goes to the doctor or to get a prescription filled, the doctor isn't in the network and their medication isn't covered.

If we are going to make the credentialing process more difficult (which I have no problem with), we need to also hold the navigators to a higher standard. If an agent did business the way some of these navigators do, the agent wouldn't be in business long and may even lose their license. Possibly an E&O claim as well.

Have no problem with that either, and certainly wouldn't disagree. On the bright side... I did overhear a Marketplace representative tell someone they could not suggest a plan, only read them the details. I heard them while I was on the phone with another representative.

Have no problem with that either, and certainly wouldn't disagree. On the bright side... I did overhear a Marketplace representative tell someone they could not suggest a plan, only read them the details. I heard them while I was on the phone with another representative.

I've had people tell me the Marketplace rep just picked a plan for them. No real discussion, just said something along the lines of "this is the plan we'll enroll you in".

Of course, some people can get their conversations a little skewed, but I've had more than one person tell me that similar story when I asked how they chose the plan they are on. And I always ask the potential client if the Marketplace rep checked to see if their doctors are in network or their meds are covered. I've yet to have a person tell me the Marketplace place rep checked that for them.

And I believe they are allowing private companies to provide certification next year. Similar to c.e. credits. It's stupid to keep it in house.

It looks like private companies will be providing FFM certification training, as well as CMS. Here's a Q&A for potential vendors.

REF: http://www.cms.gov/CCIIO/Programs-a...nloads/QA-for-AB-Vendor-Application-33015.pdf

Source page: Resources for Agents and Brokers in the Health Insurance Marketplaces - Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services for Agents and Brokers

Unless there's a compelling reason to use one of the authorized vendors, I'll stick with CMS for 2016 certification. Less potential for a miscue. Lord knows we have had our share of issues when working directly with CMS.

August 3, 2015

I just logged into the CMS Portal https://portal.cms.gov and noticed that I'm no longer assigned to access FFM. In fact, FFM is no longer listed as an accessible role.

Did I miss a CMS agent-broker memo notifying us that the FFM role would be taken offline over the Summer, or something?

August 3, 2015 I just logged into the CMS Portal https://portal.cms.gov and noticed that I'm no longer assigned to access FFM. In fact, FFM is no longer listed as an accessible role. Did I miss a CMS agent-broker memo notifying us that the FFM role would be taken offline over the Summer, or something?

I called about it last week. Was told it's while they transition and should be updated "soon". Whatever that means.

August 3, 2015

I just logged into the CMS Portal https://portal.cms.gov and noticed that I'm no longer assigned to access FFM. In fact, FFM is no longer listed as an accessible role.

Did I miss a CMS agent-broker memo notifying us that the FFM role would be taken offline over the Summer, or something?

It was in a few emails and included in the webinar. The url is changing for 2016.

It was in a few emails and included in the webinar. The url is changing for 2016.

I was put on the webinar wait-list, and I've never seen any e-mail saying that the FFM role would be disappearing from the Portal. Lots of stuff about the Medicare Learning Network, but nothing regarding CMS portal changes.

Back