Anthem is Out of Virginia for 2018

It looks like Optima is stepping in and will cover the counties where Anthem exited the market. The question is do they compensate their agents?

https://www.healthinsurance.org/virginia-state-health-insurance-exchange/#insurers

But what network are they using? Their own network is only in the Chesapeake area, it doesn't extend throughout VA. I guess people in those counties aren't going to have a choice anyway. I never sold Optima's plans because they weren't competitive with Anthem and their network sucked in comparison.

But what network are they using? Their own network is only in the Chesapeake area, it doesn't extend throughout VA. I guess people in those counties aren't going to have a choice anyway. I never sold Optima's plans because they weren't competitive with Anthem and their network sucked in comparison.

Some companies don't care about expanding their networks. Consumer convenience is not their priority. A good example was when Cigna expanded into Northern Virginia excluding the INOVA Healthcare system the biggest in the area. In that area I was their biggest non-producing producer despite the $200 CSR (bonus/bone) they threw at us. I think they forget is that our goal is to do the right thing for our clients not to line our pockets at their expense.

Innovation Health beat Cigna out in my book of business in that area.
I don't know much about Optima. They currently do not offer plans in the counties I focus on.

The only companies that may still be around in Northern VA in 2018 are CareFirst at $0 compensation includes doctors in the INOVA system, very noncompetitive price wise , Kaiser unknown compensation INOVA system out of network, and Cigna sitting on the fence, also out of network.

Cigna said they are undecided as to whether they will be participating in the Marketplace in 2018. They will notify agents sometime in October. All agents terminated for non production for 2017 will not be reappointed if they decide not to pay agent commissions. All others will be able to sell Cigna Dental for compensation. The irony got my termination letter today. No surprise. Despite the generous bonus on CSR policies the network made it a bad choice for many in the area.

Back