Anthem is Out of Virginia for 2018

dgoldenz

Virginia
After significant dialogue with federal leaders and regulators, HealthKeepers has made the difficult decision to revise our product and rate filings for our 2018 Individual plan offerings in Virginia.

While we are pleased that some steps have been taken to address the long term challenges all health plans serving the Individual market are facing, the Individual market remains volatile. A stable insurance market is dependent on products that create value for consumers through the broad spreading of risk and a known set of conditions upon which rates can be developed. Today, planning and pricing for ACA-compliant health plans has become increasingly difficult due to a shrinking and deteriorating Individual market, as well as continual changes and uncertainty in federal operations, rules and guidance, including cost sharing reduction subsidies and the restoration of taxes on fully insured coverage.

What this means for Virginia
Specifically, HealthKeepers has made the difficult decision to not participate on the Individual exchange for 2018. Additionally, HealthKeepers will reduce its 2018 Individual plan offering in Virginia and will only offer off-exchange plans in Washington and Scott Counties and in the City of Bristol, VA. It's important to note, this decision does not affect those who have employer-based insurance, individuals enrolled in "grandfathered" plans (purchased before March 2010), HealthKeepers Plus Medicaid members or Anthem Medicare Advantage members.

With Aetna also pulling out, I believe this means that half or more of Virginia will have no health insurance carriers available.

With Aetna also pulling out, I believe this means that half or more of Virginia will have no health insurance carriers available.

Does anyone know if these announced pullouts of insurance sales for <65, include group plans as well?? I have a hard time reconciling in my mind what connection if any, there may be between individual and group health plans.
Need a primer in this area.....

Does anyone know if these announced pullouts of insurance sales for <65, include group plans as well?? I have a hard time reconciling in my mind what connection if any, there may be between individual and group health plans.
Need a primer in this area.....

Group plans are still there.

----------

Thanks for the heads up. I have a brother-in-law in Virginia who has anthem on Exchange coverage.

3/4 of my clients in Anthem territories have Anthem coverage, so this is gonna be fun...

No problem to explain, it will be in the news.

The Anthem state-by-state phase-out is in the news. I thought is was the one company that was making money in the mid-atlantic states.

Anthem, state's largest health insurer, drops out of Virginia's individual market for 2018 | Virginia Politics | richmond.com

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-anthem-virginia-idUSKBN1AR2E5

BTW..read the statements towards the bottom of this article from Virginia's governor, senators, etc.. Which one is the most rationale, in your opinion?
http://www.nbc12.com/story/36118143/anthem-pulls-out-from-healthcare-exchange-in-virginia-in-2018

Last edited:
This is true. Last year there were many counties where Anthem was the only choice on the Exchange. Unless another carrier expanded into those counties their will be many people facing zero choices. Cigna is on the fence.

This is true. Last year there were many counties where Anthem was the only choice on the Exchange. Unless another carrier expanded into those counties their will be many people facing zero choices. Cigna is on the fence.

Anthem and Aetna are the only two options in my area. Both are leaving in 2018 so I will be left with no insurance option.

Back