BCBSAZ is OUT of the Market in Phoenix

I think Arizona is a test bed for ACA to fix immigration ....if you can't buy insurance you have to go elsewhere perhaps
This is all unintended of course.." we didn't see this coming

How can it solve immigration when we are trying to sneak into Mexico to get our teeth fixed? LOL. And all of the Union good jobs are going to Guatemala. LOL.

News...its not that cheap down there anymore. Other news...O out golfing with Currey in the NE...nice escape.

O out golfing with Currey in the NE...nice escape.

He just played his 300th round as president... and he still hasnt broken a 15 handicap... not awful but not great at all.

And 300 rounds over 8 years means that he plays golf once per week, 3 out of every 4 weeks.

Last edited:
Very few will be able to afford these prices, only the subsidized.

Excuse me! Barack here.. :cool:

As we've repeatedly stated, the VAST MAJORITY of Obama cares purchasers will not feel these premium increases. If you look at the statistics from 2014, 2015, 2016, you'll see the proof. Fore! Example: Premiums averaged across all 57 states for APTC-eligible purchasers, went up just $5 bucks a month, from 2015 to 2016.

Stop scare-in fokes! :mad:

Excuse me! Barack here.. :cool:

As we've repeatedly stated, the VAST MAJORITY of Obama cares purchasers will not feel these premium increases. If you look at the statistics from 2014, 2015, 2016, you'll see the proof. Fore! Example: Premiums averaged across all 57 states for APTC-eligible purchasers, went up just $5 bucks a month, from 2015 to 2016.

Stop scare-in fokes! :mad:

Love it, Allen!

Fore! That is funny. I'm sure he can get in three or four rounds before his vacations over

Last edited:
No need, everyone exempt after looking at these numbers. Let me give everyone some perspective. All HMO's, all tiny networks, Cigna uses medical group buildings for their PCP: 50 yr old for cheapest bronze plan: Aetna - $273 up to $507/mo Phx - $225 up to 506 Cigna - 307 up to 365 (clear winner) (their medical groups will be overwhelmed) 60 yr old cheapest bronze: Aetna = $588 now, up to $1093/mo Phx = $433 up to $961/mo Cigna = $550 up to $654/mo Family of 4 - age 47 - cheapest bronze: Aetna = $671 up to $1250/mo Phx $554 up to $1229/mo Cigna $756 up to $900/mo = $10,800 a year Get a handle on the 8.13% rule, as most people may now be exempt from the penalty. Gotta brush up on STM contracting. For example, up to 135k of income is exempt from penalty in family of four above. Very few will be able to afford these prices, only the subsidized.

Obviously, AZ rates have been too low for too long.
Not really kidding.
The newly revised 2017 rates here are much more in line with our 2016 rates.
In 2017, we'll have the same three carriers on-x, including UHC, with relatively moderate increases (as it stands).
Hate to see that happening to AZ (with the exception of AZBCBS which I hate second only to FL Blues) but the reality is that at least a few states, including Cal, have been somewhat stable through Ocare while many others are DOA.
Strange times.

Biggest question: What's the guvamen gonna do ta fix it?

I have had clients have a procedure in California and other clients have the similar procedure in Arizona . California provider rates are usually double of what Arizona providers charge.
Here in Phoenix we have Mayo Clinic with six campuses, we have a medical school in Tucson, and from what I can tell a very advanced medical centers and talent, multiple advanced Cancer Treatment Centers. I do not feel like my insurance rates doubling is justified or fair. Especially when no new young bodies can be added to the risk pool for my GF plan.

Last edited:
Obviously, AZ rates have been too low for too long.
Not really kidding.
The newly revised 2017 rates here are much more in line with our 2016 rates.
In 2017, we'll have the same three carriers on-x, including UHC, with relatively moderate increases (as it stands).
Hate to see that happening to AZ (with the exception of AZBCBS which I hate second only to FL Blues) but the reality is that at least a few states, including Cal, have been somewhat stable through Ocare while many others are DOA.
Strange times.

Biggest question: What's the guvamen gonna do ta fix it?

Good summary of the effect in different regions! Maybe other states should learn from Arizona's pre-ACA market, rather than Arizona learning the hard way from those other states! The "health care reform" market ruined the free market here.

Yes, our rates are lower, and always have been, even pre-ACA. We have some of the lowest rates in the nation. And our level of uninsured was never as bad as most states. We had a very free market, with lots of competition, lots of PPOs, good choices. Also, our population was not in subsidy range to the extent that it was in most other states.

The Grandfathered and Grandmothered plans that are still in effect in Arizona, are a lot lower than ACA plans, and have been since ACA plans first rolled out in 2014. Now they will be extremely lower.

Me thinks the guvamen might learn from states like Arizona instead of states like Massachusetts.

Last edited:
Back