BCBSTX Agents - Commission Question

TwoLabs

Super Genius
100+ Post Club
Okay, when ACA first rolled out, we were to get 6% commission on the gross premium (including subsidy), right?

Should those commissions follow the gross premium through rate increases? Or is it just supposed to be frozen to the initial premium?

I've reconciled a few times in the past my l&h commissions, but only if they were showing up on my commission report. I wasn't actually double checking if they were paying commission based upon the correct premium amount.

I was anticipating my Jan commission statement to be higher than Dec of 2016 because of the 40-70% rate increases we had starting in January, plus some of the new business I wrote. It was actually $400 less.

I'm going through and seeing that they are paying commission on reduced premiums, sometimes several hundred dollars per month. And they did this all of 2016 as well. For example:

Husband and wife
Gross Premium $1,609.68 for January 2017. They paid me commission based off of $756.74 premium (which is neither the gross nor the net premium, I have no clue where this number came from).
Then I looked at my 2016 commission statements, and same thing. They calculated the commission based upon $756.74 instead of what the actual gross premium was (which was $960.43).

I'm confused here. Before I furiously start making my excel spreadsheets and contacting commissions department, did I just miss something when all of this was going on initially?

Another aspect that confuses me, is that some accounts correctly went up with the rate increases.

I was anticipating my Jan commission statement to be higher than Dec of 2016 because of the 40-70% rate increases we had starting in January, plus some of the new business I wrote. It was actually $400 less.

You have not been paid on Jan yet......the commission in JAN is DEC payments....

You have not been paid on Jan yet......the commission in JAN is DEC payments....

I beg to differ:

Some of them are for December, but many of them are for January. Under the paid from and paid to column, it lists several that are Paid From: 01/01/17 to 02/01/17. And some of those include the correct 2017 gross premium.

However, that's besides the main point. Regardless of 2016 or 2017, aren't we owed commissions calculated on the actual gross premium being paid by the consumer and subsidy?

No.

At some point in 2016 (AC will probably know the month) they updated the commission schedule.

Even though you are being paid 6% for the first 3 years of a policy written prior to 4/2016, its based on the 2016 (original?) premium.

So yes, if you were expecting 6% off the 60% increases they passed out for 2017, I'm sorry. :(

Also, Sti....I got paid on about 60% of my 2017 Indy policies, 100% of my O65 with 1/1 eff dates and none of the groups. (But group is ALWAYS 45 days out)

Anyone else get screwed on commissions this month? Looked at my portal and a ton of business not showing...can't get an answer from them horrible.

Anyone else get screwed on commissions this month? Looked at my portal and a ton of business not showing...can't get an answer from them horrible.

HCSC's BCBS-IL too. A 50% cut from December to January. Stuff missing..stuff wrong.. total B.S..

I remember reading that HCSC was moving most of its I.T. department to another country for 2017.

Can't wait for the companies that value agents to be allowed to get back in the game.

CMS sent out an e-mail stating that some people were cancelled incorrectly in December 2016, which prevented them from being enrolled in 2017.

I don't think this affected many of our clients, but who knows...

Link to their Remedy: https://www.regtap.info/reg_librarye.php?i=2013

After 4 years, Healthcare.gov's back-end is more screwed up than ever. More reason for the ACA to be totally scrapped and replaced.

HCSC's BCBS-IL too. A 50% cut from December to January. Stuff missing..stuff wrong.. total B.S..

I remember reading that HCSC was moving most of its I.T. department to another country for 2017.

Can't wait for the companies that value agents to be allowed to get back in the game.

Weird, I just completed my BCBSIL Small Group and middle market audit for January commissions received and everything was perfect. I don't do any individual though so perhaps it's isolated there?

Trump's not gonna like that. :no:

Weird, I just completed my BCBSIL Small Group and middle market audit for January commissions received and everything was perfect. I don't do any individual though so perhaps it's isolated there?

I sell all 3...group, O65 and U65. Its isolated to U65.

Back