BCBSTX "Standard Practice" to Poach Clients for CIC

dgoldenz

Virginia
One of my clients insured with BCBSTX had a baby recently, tried to add baby to policy. BCBSTX said call in and they can do it over the phone without an app, then person on phone says nope, we need an app....sends my client an app with their own agent information pre-filled instead of mine. Spoke with BCBSTX today and was told it's standard practice for them to insert their own licensed agents as the AOR when a CIC is requested over the phone. Absolutely ridiculous...why am I not surprised?

Supervisor just told me it's ok because I can send in an AOR letter....thanks, that makes me feel much better.

Last edited:
One of my clients insured with BCBSTX had a baby recently, tried to add baby to policy. BCBSTX said call in and they can do it over the phone without an app, then person on phone says nope, we need an app....sends my client an app with their own agent information pre-filled instead of mine. Spoke with BCBSTX today and was told it's standard practice for them to insert their own licensed agents as the AOR when a CIC is requested over the phone. Absolutely ridiculous...why am I not surprised?

Supervisor just told me it's ok because I can send in an AOR letter....thanks, that makes me feel much better.

Are you serious?

Something doesn't smell right if that's the case.

I will audit my book this week.

From what I've read, Aetna and United Healthcare have in-house agents who add their NPN/Agent ID to every Change In Circumstance transaction, when a customer calls in to report the CIC. They started this 2 years ago, when the number of health insurance agents across America went into free-fall. It's a "throw it against the wall and see if it sticks" mentality.

If the in-house agent were to perform a simple look-up, he/she could quickly determine if the Agent-of-Record is still licensed and certified.

But due to the MLR restrictions, there is less supervision. And, due to lower commissions, it's likely that the caliber and integrity level of in-house agents is lower now than it was before ObamaScrew.

In fact, some may be Navigators that got a producer license, and are now moonlighting at the carriers in-between open enrollments. They may not go back to their $25 @ hour Navigator jobs if they can enroll and poach enough clients.

I'm hearing reports of this happening at basically every carrier except for a select few.

Those select few don't have in house agents, or I suspect they'd be doing it too.

I'm hearing reports of this happening at basically every carrier except for a select few.

Why does this remind me of the movie line, "I always tell some version of the truth"?

HAFA is working with some elected folks in DC to address this and other items. Got an update from them yesterday saying they anticipated a bill being submitted soon though did not give an exact date it eluded to within weeks.

Here ya go. HAFA definitely seems to get things done.

http://www.icontact-archive.com/NRCTqX2Wssc73lgTvoTJUhCB14JxfOYM?w=7

HAFA has been working with US Senator Bill Cassidy (R-LA) and his Health Policy expert, Mr. Robb Walton for several months to create the Equalizing the Playing Field for Agents and Broker Act. We are happy to report this bill will be filed today! After the bill is filed, we will need Agents and Brokers across the nation to reach out to their Senators to ask them to co-sponsor this very important bill. This bill would give Agents and Brokers a 1-800 number to call the Federal Marketplace for assistance; this bill would make Agents and Brokers contact information as easily to access as Navigators and CAC's; this bill would insure CMS provides the same information as provided to Navigators and CAC's, such as newsletters and webinars. As soon as we receive a bill number, we will begin a grassroots effort to get this bill passed, we will provide you with a sample letter to write your Senator and a copy of the bill. We have reached out to the Agent Associations and ask for their assistance in passing this important piece of legislation. Exciting times at the HAFA Office!!

In addition, I received an email from the President of PIA, Mr. Richie Clements who stated, The Access to Independent Health Insurance Advisors Act of 2015 is set to be introduced, barring any unforeseen delay, this Wednesday by US Senators Chris Coons (D-DE) and Johnny Isakson (R-GA). The legislation clarifies that producer compensation will not be considered as part of the Medical Loss Ratio (MLR) calculations under the Affordable Care Act (ACA). As you know the bill was introduced in the House (HR 815) earlier this year by US Representatives, Billy Long (R-MO) and Kurt Schrader (D-OR).

This will be great for whoever is left in 2017.

They recess soon. It won't happen in time for 2016 OEP.

From what I've read, Aetna and United Healthcare have in-house agents who add their NPN/Agent ID to every Change In Circumstance transaction, when a customer calls in to report the CIC. They started this 2 years ago, when the number of health insurance agents across America went into free-fall. It's a "throw it against the wall and see if it sticks" mentality.

If the in-house agent were to perform a simple look-up, he/she could quickly determine if the Agent-of-Record is still licensed and certified.

But due to the MLR restrictions, there is less supervision. And, due to lower commissions, it's likely that the caliber and integrity level of in-house agents is lower now than it was before ObamaScrew.

In fact, some may be Navigators that got a producer license, and are now moonlighting at the carriers in-between open enrollments. They may not go back to their $25 @ hour Navigator jobs if they can enroll and poach enough clients.

They all do it & don't care that they do. Not sure about policies elsewhere, but Blue Cross in my territory doesn't do AOR changes for individual policies. Period. . . .

Back