Blue Cross

Allen who told you that they are considering not paying for open enrollment for 2017?

It was in the letter that HCSC-BCBSIL e-mailed to us on February 23rd, Sam. The sentence right after they state how VITAL and VALUED we are.

Excerpt: "BCBSIL will eliminate producer commissions for new sales of individual ACA plans effective April 1, 2016.

We value our producer relationships and they continue to be vital to our business. We plan to re-evaluate producer commissions for the sale of new individual under 65 major medical policies with Jan. 1, 2017, effective dates."

Chicago Tribune says eliminating commissions is a mistake..
Consumers could be losers as insurers cut brokers' commissions - Chicago Tribune

I agree, and add to the article. Uninsured people, and those with a high deductible, will simply call or sign onto HealthCare.gov, enroll in a GOLD or 94% CSR Silver plan, pay 1 month premium, get the surgery/treatment/procedure...and cancel the plan.

Agents brought in the normal mix of SEP applicants. Very few of them were sick. Now, that's about all Blue Cross (in IL) will get for the remainder of 2016. Since HCSC lacks real-world common sense, they'll have to learn the hard way that stiffing their vital and valued agents, is bad for business.
ac

September 7, 2016

HCSC is preparing to do a major trimming of its work-force:

"Dana Holmes, a spokeswoman for Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Illinois, confirmed Wednesday that buyouts are being offered to employees age 50 and older in Illinois, Texas, Oklahoma, New Mexico and Montana, all states with health insurance plans that fall under parent company Health Care Service Corp."

Source: Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Illinois offering buyouts to employees - Chicago Tribune

This doesn't bode well for 2017 HCSC Open-Enrollment commissions. After all, why would they want to pay us for ANY additional Obamacare customers, if the HCSC Blue Cross's are losing so much money?

But the employee buyout raises a thought... What if Blue Cross (or any company) offered you a one-time $200 payment for each of your IFP customers, and then took them over as "house accounts". Would you accept?

ac

September 7, 2016

HCSC is preparing to do a major trimming of its work-force:

"Dana Holmes, a spokeswoman for Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Illinois, confirmed Wednesday that buyouts are being offered to employees age 50 and older in Illinois, Texas, Oklahoma, New Mexico and Montana, all states with health insurance plans that fall under parent company Health Care Service Corp."

Source: Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Illinois offering buyouts to employees - Chicago Tribune

This doesn't bode well for 2017 HCSC Open-Enrollment commissions. After all, why would they want to pay us for ANY additional Obamacare customers, if the HCSC Blue Cross's are losing so much money?

But the employee buyout raises a thought... What if Blue Cross (or any company) offered you a one-time $200 payment for each of your IFP customers, and then took them over as "house accounts". Would you accept?

ac

My understanding is that its in IT only. Over age 50, with more than 15 years service.

A significant number of them are pension eligible (which is no longer offered) and long term employees who have risen through the ranks. And are way overpaid.

So they are trimming fat.

Get rid of older, high insurance cost, overpaid employees in an area of the company that by anybodys definition is antiquated.

Replace them with 30 year olds who will make half the salary, cost 50% less for insurance and aren't pension eligible.

Pretty sure that this is why I left corporate America. ;)

If it was a 1 year non-compete...then yes on the buyout.

Thanks for that info KGMom. Since it's only the senior IT people who are being offered the severance, agents shouldn't see much difference. The BCBS-IL agent portal went to the dogs many months ago anyway.

I'd take $200 per client with a 1-year Non Compete clause also. But since cutting our commissions would probably yield less of an expense to the company, HCSC will most likely take that route, IMO.

December 13, 2016

Agents with existing off-exchange HCSC Blue Cross clients. Be advised that your agent info will be stripped if they change plans via their shopping account.

You will not be able to add yourself back until after March 2017, if then.

December 13, 2016

Agents with existing off-exchange HCSC Blue Cross clients. Be advised that your agent info will be stripped if they change plans via their shopping account.

You will not be able to add yourself back until after March 2017, if then.

They told us that was true if they went direct, but not through Stay Blue.

They told you March of 2017??? Why???

If your clients went to StayBlue and didn't actively SEARCH for your agent name, you probably got stripped!

They promised that we'd remain the agent if we sent them to StayBlue.
But, they didn't tell us to WARN the clients to SEARCH for their agent's name in order to KEEP their agent.

This is not the 1st time I've believed half-truths (tricks), though.

If your clients went to StayBlue and didn't actively SEARCH for your agent name, you probably got stripped!

They promised that we'd remain the agent if we sent them to StayBlue.
But, they didn't tell us to WARN the clients to SEARCH for their agent's name in order to KEEP their agent.

This is not the 1st time I've believed half-truths (tricks), though.

A top Blue Cross of Illinois MGA warned us of this during the annual Obamacare training session in September.

I noticed when logging into the customer's account at www.BCBSIL.com, that the words "Do you have an agent?" were printed in wee text. My name was no longer there, as it had been in previous years.

If you click on it, and type in my name, it says "No agent found". But, if you enter my Blue Cross Agent ID, it finds me. WTF..right?

The client must then click on the little "+" sign next to my name to plug me in as their agent, or they remain an orphan. Even when BCBSIL paid 15% IFP commission, I tried my best to stay away from them.

The company is efficient when it comes to satisfying customers, but very strange when it comes to supporting agents. It's as if something is holding a gun to BCBSIL's head, forcing the company to do the bare minimum for us.

Back